JSM - Server - Why does the rich text editor in the description field add in extra backslashes?

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2022

We have noticed that in the JSM portal description field which is using the newish rich text editor when we enter \\Folder\subfolder it ends up being \\\\Folder\\subfolder

This ONLY happens in the portal rich text fields.  If you're in Jira and you enter the same in a wiki rendered description field there is no additional backslashes added.  The text remains as you typed it in.

Is this inconsistent experience expected? 

Note: JSM version 4.20.8

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2022

Hi @Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_ 

Sorry to hear about this problem.  Thanks for the screenshots, it helps to clarify what you are seeing here.  I think this is a known bug we are tracking over in JSDSERVER-10793.  I believe this stems from the fact that the backslash character \ is also used as a means to escape certain characters.

In the meantime, our recommendation would be to use the code block snippet anytime you have such a path that contains double backslashes.  This is one way to avoid this problem until a long term fix can be applied.

Andy

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2022

Thank you Andy!!  I thought it might be a bug I just couldn't seem to find it.  I will vote and watch and thanks for the workaround.  Will share with my team.

1 vote
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 3, 2022

Adding screenshots to better illustrate the problem:

Creating an issue in JSM with backslashes:

BackSlash problem - Creating in JSM.png

After the issue is created there are backslashes added possibly a new line:

BackSlash problem - Displayed  in JSM.png

BUT if you create the same in a regular Jira business project in Jira.  On create the same backslashes:

BackSlash problem - Creating in Jira (not JSM).png

And it's displayed in Jira after create as:

BackSlash problem - Displayed  in Jira (not JSM).png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events