JSD On Premise with OKTA SSO

Jason Bohbot January 8, 2020

Hello everyone.

I have been banging my head and running in circles trying to get Okta to integrate with Jira Service Desk - on premise.  

I have come across and dealt with so many different Java errors and configuration problems...  I have finally managed all of those and finally...  I hit a 404 error.

Has anyone been able to integrate JSD with Okta - or am I to believe that only JIra will support SSO with okta and not the JSD?

Thank you in advance!

6 answers

0 votes
Johnny Lau October 19, 2020

Hello,

I hope to get some basic info with Okta and JIRA service desk on-prem/server. Does Okta have password management feature i.e. password expiry setup or it still needs AD or other Identity Access Management software to work with? Thanks.

0 votes
Jared James April 15, 2020

Jason,

I'm having the same issue.  Were you ever able to resolve it?

Thanks.

Joe Pursel April 15, 2020

Hi Jared,

No, we have not resolved this.

We are not on Data Center, but we plan to be within 6 months. That will provide us the ability to use the SAML feature mentioned above by Lokesh.

For now, we are still using Crowd which is serving our purpose and we are evaluating our options.

Welcome to the Atlassian Community.

Joe

0 votes
Lokesh Naktode_miniOrange
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 6, 2020

Instead of using the Okta Jira Authenticator app, I suggest you to try the inbuild SAML support of the JIRA in case if you have a data center version or take a look at some of the third-party SAML SSO apps from the Atlassian Marketplace. 

Here is one of the popular SAML SSO app from the Atlassian marketplace and you can follow this step by step guide to configure this app with OKTA for SSO.

This app provides a user interface to configure SSO settings and does not require any changes in the Jira Server's file.

Thanks,

Lokesh

Full Discloser:- I work for the miniOrange one of the top SSO vendors in the Atlassian Marketplace.

0 votes
Ed Letifov _TechTime - New Zealand_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 6, 2020

Try any of the SAML apps on Marketplace. Can't vouch for other, but I am sure theirs will work as fine as our EasySSO for Jira does with JSD login pages.

0 votes
Joe Pursel March 18, 2020

Hi Atlassian Team,

Having installed the okta SAML SSO plugin, Jira Authenticator 3.1.2, I am not able to establish a secure service desk connection using the portal URL.

I am using Jira Server 8.5.3 and JSD 4.5.3 versions.

When logging in to Jira, the okta SAML SSO plugin automatically logs me in. However, if I use the portal URL without having been logged in to Jira, servicedesk throws an error as shown below from a snippet from my jira log file, and I am shown the JSD portal login page.

/servicedesk/customer/portal/123/ [c.a.j.authenticator.okta.OktaJiraAuthenticator30] Authentication result=MISSING_SAML_ASSERTION

Please help me understand why I am not able to be automatically logged in to the JSD portal using the okta SAML SSO plugin.

Thank you,

Joe

Joe Pursel April 6, 2020

Update to my above response.

Atlassian's response to my request is that they do not support the integration for JSD and okta using the okta authenticator app. Therefore, when directly linking to your JSD portal's URL, you will always be sent to the Jira login page.

Discussions with okta have gone no better as this is not on their roadmap.

Options are to use the SAML in Jira Data Center or get a plugin for Jira that works with okta.

0 votes
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2020

Hello Jason, 

Are you using Jira Service Desk Server or Data Center deployement (both are on-prem)? Do you already have Jira Software installed on this server? Are you using an app from our Marketplace to achieve this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events