Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JQL: pull subtask within a task

MFMM December 15, 2022

Hi,

I'm trying to pull subtask(s) within a task and display them in a dashboard I don't have access to ScriptRunner(I have seen is possible with this).

What I have is a query (that I'm inserting with "insert jira issue/filter" within confluence) that is pulling from a Jira kanban board all the tasks that are currently in progress and another query that is pulling the subtask(s) for a given manuallly added ID. Both querys do the job(picture attached) but I would love to have just one query(if posssible) and not to manually add the task ID to pull the subtask(s)

• Query for task
    • project in ("ProjectName") and status in ( "In Progress") and issuetype in (task)
  • Query for subtask
    • issuekey in (childIssuesOf(abc-123)) and status in ("In Progress") 

The idea that I have in mind is to add/show a column with the subtask(s) that are as well in progress for the parent task

idea.png

I would appreciate your help on this one

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2022

@MFMM -

Unfortunately, it is not possible to achieve what you wanted out of the box.  You have to have an add-on such as ScriptRunner for Jira because the additional JQL functions that it provides.  Those additional JQL functions allow you to construct a single JQL statement.   In addition, it is not possible to list the resulting display in the UI that you provided in the image screenshot.

Sorry.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

MFMM December 16, 2022

Thank you so much for the quick reply

Do you think somethink like this could be done?

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Include-Parent-Key-in-Query-Jira-Cloud/qaq-p/2098128

Regards!

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 16, 2022

@MFMM -

Looking at the posting you provide.  Yes, it is doable.  Essentially, it is adding a custom field to store the parent issue key and then it is populated by the automation for Jira rule setup.  Afterward, this becomes a part of your issue's metadata (i.e. for Subtask issues).

It is not ideal, since by default all subtasks' SUMMARY are already appended with the parent issue key.

2022-12-16_9-24-34.png

Best, Joseph

MFMM December 28, 2022

Thank you for the answer!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events