Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA Issues - Assignment Based on Time of Day

Austin Songer January 20, 2021

Is there a way in JIRA Service Desk that will assign new issues that are created to a specific person based on hours worked, so if a employee should be getting tickets assign between the hours 8AM - 5PM.

My company is a Security Operations Center so issues are created from sources from detection alert systems like AlienVault and such-like tools. Heck if Opsgenie was able to use their escalation policies and scheduling to assign tickets in JIRA would be amazing or something like this.

I don't know why this isn't something that JIRA Service Desk has part of the product. This is something missing that could cause a company to leave Atlassian.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Benjamin Paton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 20, 2021

Hey Austin, 

Thanks for reaching out. You suggestion of using Opsgenie scheduling is a good one. It is something that has been discussed, but we would love to hear more about how this might work (feel free to raise a ticket over here -> https://jira.atlassian.com/projects/JSDCLOUD/summary)

Today, my best recommendation is to use Automation (n.b. make sure you are not using Legacy Automation). 

If you create a rules as follow you should be able to achieve this outcome.

When: Issue created

If: Issue matches JQL `createdDate > startOfDay("+xh") AND createdDate < endOfDay("-yh")` where x and y are the hours of a group or person

Then: Assign this issue to ...

I hope this helps, 

Cheers, 

Ben

Austin Songer January 21, 2021

How about adding another condition that it is Monday through Friday.

Benjamin Paton
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 21, 2021

You could add `AND createdDate > startOfWeek("+1") AND createdDate < endOfWeek("-1")` I think that should work.

Rhia Rodriguez April 22, 2021

@Benjamin Paton Hi! How about a query with 8:01 am template? because when I implemented this the next agent would be schedule at 8:01 am. Thank you in advance.

I also need 24h shift rule is there a way we can do that? @Benjamin Paton 

Benjamin Paton
Atlassian Team
April 22, 2021

Hey @Rhia Rodriguez

I am not sure I understand what you mean by 8:01 am template? If its a matter of hitting a more specific time, you should be able to use the above suggestion, but using minutes

e.g. startOfWeek("+481m")

If you looking for a way to assign different people once it goes past a particular time of the day? In this case you need to use a Scheduled trigger for your automation rule.

With regard to 24h shift rule, you will have to give me some more information on that one. 

Cheers, 

Ben.

Hi @Benjamin Paton 

Thank you for the reply. So basically I want 3 agents (8h per schedule to reach 24h) to be assign in all created tickets depending on their shift. so first 8:01 am to 5 pm, 5:01pm to 1:00am and 1:01am to 8:00 am. 

so I did this 

If issue matches JQL `createdDate > startOfDay("+8h") AND createdDate < endOfDay("-7h")` where x and y are the hours of a group or person

Assign issue to agent 1

Else If issue matches JQL `createdDate > startOfDay("+17h") AND createdDate < endOfDay("1h")` where x and y are the hours of a group or person

Assign issue to agent 2

However it is not working it is always assign to agent 1

Benjamin Paton
Atlassian Team
May 6, 2021

Can you take a screenshot of your rules in automation?

0 votes
apurba.das
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 2, 2023

Hey I have a question, I have 3 sets of people working in different 3 shift

from 7 am IST to 4 PM, 2 PM to 11 PM and 10 PM to 7 AM, how can i use conditions to Auto assign tickets to them in Jira, could you give query and guide me on it.

0 votes
Austin Songer January 21, 2021

How about adding another condition that it is Monday through Friday.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events