Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue created in Jira not visible in Service Desk Portal

Simon Singh April 30, 2018

Hi,

I've got a Service Desk project (A) with associated Portal - where customers can raise issues. However, if I create an issue using Jira on project A, then it is not visible on the Portal under the "All" requests - so the customer can't see all issues related to them. 

Anybody know how they can see them?

6 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2018

Hi @Simon Singh,

Two common reasons why they are not showing:

1. The Customer Request Type field is not filled out. This is required for the ticket to be visible on the customer portal. Make sure to update the fieldimage-2015-11-17-17-46-42-821.png
  2. Through the portal, customers can only see tickets where they are the reporter, tickets shared with them or tickets shared with the organisation they belong to. Make sure that the tickets created through Jira match at least one of those conditions.

Hi @Walter Buggenhout, I can't see the "Request Type". If I look at it in Fields, it says this:

"Request Type Locked [Default Text Renderer]

Holds information about which Service Desk was used to create a ticket. This custom field is created programmatically and must not be modified."

I've added it to my Create Issue screen, but it's not showing. Is this the correct field?

Francesc Arbó
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2018

Hi @Simon Singh,

check if the issue type has a request type available set in the customer portal.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2018

You cannot use the field on the Create issue screen. To fix your current issue, the quickest way will most likely be to perform a bulk update on your current issues.

In issue navigator, search for all issues that are missing the customer request type:

Project = <your service desk project> AND "Customer Request Type" is EMPTY

Next, bulk change the Customer Request Type:

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 10.55.28.png

To make sure the request type is set correctly and automatically when new issues are created, I would recommend you to add an Automation rule instead of doing this manually. Here's an example:

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 11.01.08.pngIt is a Custom Automation Rule with the following configuration:

• When: issue created
  • If: issue matches | issuetype = incident AND "Customer Request Type" IS Empty
  • Then: Edit request type / Report a system problem

Customer request type maps to Jira Issue Type. So make sure to add a condition and matching Request type selection for each issue type.

Like Burak Alparslan likes this

@Walter Buggenhout, thanks for the detailed response. However, I still can't get it working.

This seems like quite a standard request - is there an easier way to achieve what I want? For example, the Portal views - are they configurable (I can't see an option)?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2018

I am getting the impression that you haven't configured any request types for your customer portal yet.

Check the Atlassian documentation on how to set them up here.

@Walter Buggenhout, thanks for your patience on this issue. I've now managed to get an issue displayed on the Portal by creating an automation for updating the Request Type.

However, the issue only appears after I also edit the Organization via a bulk change. It looks like Organization is not available to update in the Automation. Do you know how I could automate this?

@Walter Buggenhout, I'm setting the Reporter instead - this seems to do the trick. Thanks for your help.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2018

That's the cleanest way. If you'd like to automate setting the organisation, you may consider having a look at Automation Lite for Jira (Marketplace app).

It has automation rules you can set the Organisation with.

2 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2018

Hello,

When you create an issue in Jira, the Request Type field is not set. That is why the issue can not be seen in the Portal. Try to set the Request Type field for the issue and the issue will be available in the Portal.

1 vote
Balvant Biradar February 14, 2019

Hi All, We are using Jira and JSD together. I want to provide Jira service desk view link from Jira software ticket view to customers.

Since customers don't have agent permissions, so they are not able to see "View customer request", but they have jira software application permissions

0 votes
Digital Doom February 28, 2020

I have a similar issue but the answers suggested here don't seem to fit with the next-gen service desk.  When I create an issue logged in, I can see it in the portal, but when I submit an issue anonymously through the portal on a different machine, I can only see it in JIRA, not in the portal. 

Where might I be going wrong?  

I can see EDIT-7 in JIRA:

portal.PNGIn the portal, EDIT-7 is not visible:

portal 2.PNG

Stefano Cataldo January 28, 2021

Hi Digital Doom

hi at all, 

did you ore someone else resolve the issue? Would you like to share the solution with us (me)?

I am in a similar (the same?) situation as you.

1. My need is to create a JIRA issue with rest api. The JIRA issue than should be visible in Portal by a user I choose (eg. set in the request body).
  2. If I create a ticket during I am logged on the Portal, I can see the ticket both on portal and on JIRA.
    • The JSON of the ticket I get via rest api call shows my user is creator and reporter. In addition I see a portal link in a custom filed.
  3. Creating a ticket when logged on in JIRA leads to the result, that I see the ticket in JIRA but not in the portal. Sharing the ticket with myself did not bring any changes in the visibility of the ticket (the only thing I notice was a notification email from JIRA). 
    • The JSON of the ticket I get via rest api call shows my use is creator and reporter. I do not  see a portal link in the custom filed, which is null.
    • I read somewhere, that using custom fields in request body is not a good idea at all, especially if you have different systems (dev - qual - prod)
  4. Some result as 3. when I use postmann plugin to create a issue (ticket) via rest api (using basic authentication and api key). The field "creator" is on the creating screen of JIRA but it also set, if I do not enter something (probably due to authentication). 

I would appreciate any kind of help and will share solution with you, if I will found by myself. 

Regards, Stefano 

Stefano Cataldo January 29, 2021

Hi there,

already get rid of the problems described in my answer yesterday :-) 

• Indeed I did not set the Customer Request Type when I create a ticket in JIRA. Therefore ticket was not visible in portal. It is wat is explained in this tutorial, however I did not realize this a solution for my problem at once. I was confusing Customer Request Type with Issue Type - which was set in the ticket I created.
  • For rest API related issues it was good for me to change api endpoints and use this API endpoint 
    https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/service-desk/rest/api-group-request/ 
    here you can set the customer request type w/o using custom fields (if you do so the JSON representation of the created Ticket get with the api .../issues will have an entry in the customfield).

Hope, some of you will save some time with my entry. 

Regards, Stefano 

0 votes
Julie Mistaria February 26, 2020

I'm new to configuring the SD Portal. In my experience earlier this evening, I found that I had to configure the Organization, add the portal customer to the Organization, and then share the issue with it. I want to look into the automation or bulk edit options as I only see how to share with the Organization when viewing the issue in the Portal and not all issues have that handy "view in portal" link (other problem to solve tomorrow).

Mariano Sanz February 27, 2020

At the ticket view in Jira (you need an agent user with sufficient priviledges), you can edit the request type and add the one from the portal, in order for the portal to show it. At the same time, only the reporter can see the ticket at the portal. If you want other users to have visibility through the portal, you need to add participats through the portal.

JiraSD-jira2portal.pngJiraSD-share_portal.png

0 votes
Mariano Sanz October 17, 2019

The accepted answer is nearly correct but it is missing one step:

3. Get to the portal with your agent user and look for the ticket. Use the sharing functionality at the portal to share it with a portal customer user.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events