Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue Combining Multiple Automation Rules for Issue Creation into one

Jimmy Martin May 12, 2021

I currently have two automation rules for a service management project.

1. Copy the value from a custom field into the Components field - Basically we have created a custom field for each request type that contains a subset of all Components related to that request type. The customer is required to select a value, then we copy that value to the main Components field. This is a workaround for restricting Components listed for each request type.

2. Assign new issue to agent (round robin) based on Components field - This rule would need to run when an issue is created, but after the prior rule runs. Certain users are assigned to work on issues that match a list of Components.

As configured now, the condition never matches for the second rule. I tried combining the two rules into one and it still didn't assign the issue. It seems like the two conditions are running at the same time or the second condition is not evaluating on field values changed by the first set of conditions. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to get this to work?

Here is a screenshot of my current attempt at combining the rules:

jira_automation.jpg

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2021

Hi, @Jimmy Martin

Did you combine them for other reasons, or specifically to try to deal with the order of operations problem?

If you don't have other reasons for needing the functionality to be in a single rule, I'd recommend separating them back out again. On the second rule (assign to agent) that has to run after the first one is complete, go to Rule Details and check the "Allow rule trigger" checkbox. (Ignore the actual rule setup in the screenshot; it doesn't have anything to do with how your rule should be set up.)

2021-05-12 12_26_05-Project automation - Jira Staging - Vivaldi.png

Thank you for your response. The rules don't have to be combined into one rule, I at first tried two separate rules. You're suggestion is promising. In that case, what triggers the rule to run? Currently, it is "Issue Created." Would it need to be "Value changes for Components"? We would only want it to run when the Components field changes from empty to another value and not every time it changes. 

I figured it out. Great suggestion. Thank you for your help. Here is how I triggered the second rule:

new_rule.jpg

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2021

Glad you got it figured out! I somehow posted without including that final step of adding the action to the first rule.

Like Jimmy Martin likes this
Anurag Kapse July 12, 2023

Hi @Esther Strom , could you explain the final step mentioned above please. I am trying to do something similar. 

If you could explain what you would have done for the above example, I should be able to translate it for my work. Thank you.

0 votes

[removed]

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders