Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to log in as (impersonate) a Service Desk user, similar to Atlassian user accounts?

Phil October 9, 2019

Is there a way to log in as one of my Service Desk users? I know I can do this with full Atlassian user accounts, but I don't see a way on the Atlassian Administration page to do this for my Service Desk portal customers. No clues found in the Atlassian documentation.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 9, 2019

Unfortunately not. However, if you are just trying to test as a customer, what I do is create a gmail account for that purpose. 

Phil October 10, 2019

Thanks Jack. Actually needed to verify a particular customer's experience. Ultimately, they gave me permission to change their password. But yes, it would certainly be nice if I could impersonate a Jira Service Desk user account like we can with Atlassian user accounts.

5 votes
Andreas Lärkfeldt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 12, 2020

WTF - Is no one else than Phil interested in logging in as a specific Customer in JSD? :)

When our clients (also our users in JSD) doesn't see what we want them to see it's much better to login as them and see what is wrong for ourself instead of asking them to send sprint screens or videos. Trust me, I work with MedTech and not everyone is that technical!

Scriptrunner is actually working - but only if you have JIRA SERVER installed, not CLOUD (then you can login as Customers only - and access their Service Desk). But I guess they haven't focused on CLOUD because of the "limited" login as user functionality already existing.

I really don't see why an administrator shouldn't be able to login as user (customer only) so if JIRA reads this - please change.

OR - if someone else have another solution, please reply! But DON'T tell us that we shouldn't login as customer (thats only annoying) :)

Thank you and sorry for my harsch tone!

// Andreas

0 votes
Office
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 4, 2024

Hi @Jack Brickey and @Olga Videc, This is something I run into still today. 
My customer said; I can't see issue X. 
I can't log in as this customer to see what is wrong. I can only log in as a Jira User, not a Customer. Is this something Atlassian is still working on? 

I feel like with the migration from server to Cloud there are some important features missing! 

Regards, Ilona 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2024

Hi @Ilona Office ,

I concur that this would be useful. I found the below closed Suggestion that has a "timed out" resolution. You might consider either using the in-app feedback link or open a support ticket with Atlassian to provide your input.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-5486 

0 votes
Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 10, 2019

Hello @Phil

Actually you can, but it requires Scriptrunner and it's built-in script "Switch to a different user"

Video for an older version of Jira but it still works, I still use it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2akuiGaoH2E

BR, Olga

Phil October 10, 2019

Thanks Olga! Does Scriptrunner work with the Cloud version?

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2019

Hello Phil, 

Sorry for the late replay I was researching this.

Scriptrunner works with Jira Cloud but the particular feature is not supported on the cloud.

But. this feature is available on cloud version by default no add-on required

Atlassian documentation

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/log-in-as-another-user-776994835.html

Go to your site's Administration at admin.atlassian.com

If you're an admin for one site, you'll land on the Users page of your site.

If you're an admin for multiple sites or an organization admin, click a site's name and

URL to open the Administration for that site.

Select a user from the list.

Choose 

BR, Olga

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2019

Hi @Olga Videc , were you able to do this for JSD "customers"? You can certainly do this for Jira users but I am not aware of this working for customers.

Olga Videc
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2019

Hello @Jack Brickey

I don't have a Jira cloud so I couldn't test it.

But to be honest it never occurred to me that it wouldn't work.

There is no note in the documentation.

Thanks for the information :D

I know that script runners version of "Switch to a different user" works for customers.

BR, Olga

Phil October 22, 2019

Thank you both @Jack Brickey and @Olga Videc

I appreciate you both looking further into this one. Yeah, what Jack said is essentially the issue. It works great for Atlassian USERS, but not for "Customers" (aka Jira Service Desk "Portal customers", which is a different list in the Admin portal).

Ultimately, I just asked the customer if they would allow me to change their password. Not ideal, but it got the job done.

Thanks again!  Maybe we'll see this option in a future update.

Like Olga Videc likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2019

FWIW, what I do is to create a "customer test account" using a gmail account. I also test on a separate device so that browser caching and switching back and forth don't get in the way.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events