Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to get the date of a status change, not the status category?

Angela Trigg (Quarles) June 8, 2021

Thought I was clever and did a script in Integromat to notify people who still had a status set to a specific kind after two weeks. However it notified someone whose status only changed today. Now I see that even though the previous and current status are different, they're both in the same status category and so the date of status change didn't update. Is there anything that tracks the actual status and not just the status category?

3 answers

1 vote
Yuliia_Borivets__SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 10, 2021

Hi @Angela Trigg (Quarles) 

If you're open to using third-party apps, check out Issue History. It's developed by my team to monitor full issues changelog. You can view who and when changed issue statuses.

Snag_3806af1c.png

Hope you find this helpful.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2021

Hi @Angela Trigg (Quarles)

although I have no experience with Integromat I am wondering how the tool's logic might be.
You surely have seen that you can check for issues longer resting in a status than you want them to be by, for example:
status = "Open" AND status CHANGED FROM "In Progress" TO "Open" BEFORE -14d

More information could be found here:
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/advanced-search-reference-jql-operators/#Advancedsearchingoperatorsreference-CHANGEDCHANGED

Even with an Automation rule you could use this query - so from my imagination the Integromat solution should work together with a query (like the shown above, please adapt it to your requirements) and it should work.

When you say the status changed the query above covers that. Probably there will be the need to review the Integrator documentation, maybe the solution is not capable for using JQL or needs some further specification how the data should be read.
From a Jira's perspective the requirement is one that is seen daily (nothing special).

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 8, 2021

@Angela Trigg (Quarles) -

Hi Angela:

In Jira/JSM, WF statuses are associated with 3 categories (TO DO, IN PROGRESS, and DONE).  I am sure you already know that. 

By default, when issues move from status to status, you can find the time via the issue's activity log (i.e. Activity tab).  At our env, we have created custom fields to store the date/time when an issue moves from one status to another status.  However, it depends the need of the users/team - Example:  The team wants to track when an issue moves from Open to In Progress status for project A.  We customized project A's WF on the appropriate transition via post function to capture the date/time when the above event happened.

The drawback of the above implementation is that this need to be done as per individual project  basis. 

Your other two options are - 1) develop custom programs to obtain the status transitions date/time looking at issue's history; 2) research in the Marketplace for possible third party add-ons.

Hope this give you some ideas.  

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Veronika February 3, 2022

Hi Joseph, how did you managed to capture date/time for a transition in post-functions without any Jira add-ons?
Thanks in advance!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events