Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to export more than 1000 issues in jira?

Beakon Support October 29, 2017

I'd need to export about 3k issues in jira and I was wondering if there is a way to do that(even in different excel files).

PS: I have jira cloud.

Thanks

12 answers

2 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

9 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user June 26, 2019

There is a Solution :)

Its still beta but its worked for me (more than 20K issues), used on Jira Cloud

Enjoy https://gsuite.google.com/marketplace/app/jira_cloud_for_sheets/1065669263016

image.png

image.png

David Leal June 27, 2019

@[deleted] it is a really nice solution to the problem and it downloads ride away a huge amount of data, I tried with 5K in a couple of seconds. I am wondering if there is an equivalent solution for Microsoft Excel, some companies block the use of Gmail and Google accounts at work.

Like # people like this
Arpit Kabra July 1, 2019

@[deleted] . Excellent solution. It really worked & so fast !!

Thanks a lot !!

Nar Kumar C_ - Narva Software
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 25, 2020

Not sure about server but if you are on Jira Cloud, Atlassian already added export to excel feature.

1. Go to Issue search/filter

2. Click on Excel icon (you can select Excel desktop or online)

3. Configure Jira for Excel app

Looks like it has same features as Google sheets. You can specify how many issues you want to export.

excel-export.png

Suresh Mantrala January 18, 2024

This Excel export feature does not allow to export all the fields. 

5 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2017
David Leal January 21, 2019

This solution works when you want to export all fields that the download process takes time and you have time to cancel it before the download process finished. I just need about 5 fields to export, so when I try to follow the steps, I don't actually have time to cancel it before the download finished. Therefore I have to go with the option export all fields, and then to have to spend an additional time deleting the additional columns downloaded. 

Arpit Kabra May 6, 2019

@David Leal 

Hi David,

You can Click "Copy link address" for current field option & then append " &pager/start=1000" after pasting it into notepad. Then you copy entire link & paste it on browser. You don't need to download or cancel the download.

Like David Leal likes this
David Leal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2019

Thanks @Arpit Kabra I realized that it is possible, doing the following:

1. Click on the icon: "Export this filter to another format"
  2. Select export Excel CSV (current field), i.e. put the cursor over this line
  3. Right click on the mouse
  4. Select: "Open link new window"
  5. A new window from the explorer will pop up, then select the entire URL

this is a way I can download the file with the option of current field and then once I have the URL add: &pager/start=1000 and so on...

By the way, what I just did was to implement a pagination routine strategy in VBA to download all required files. Once all files are downloaded, then using Excel Power Query to consolidate all files in just one big.

Thanks Altassian for giving me the opportunity to spend hours learning VBA to overcome this absurd limitation, :-)

Thanks,

David

Like # people like this
Kashif Pervaiz January 30, 2020

Developer tricks.  Only a developer would know.

Suresh Mantrala January 18, 2024

This solution is not optimal. 

When first set of 1000 records are exported, it will be it's own set of multiple columns on Comments, Attachments, Labels - depending up on the number values in each of those 1000 records. For example Row 1 could have 10 comments, 10 attachments and 10 labels. Row 2 could have 15 comments, 15 attachments and 2 labels. Hence export will have 10 attachment columns and 15 comments columns and 10 labels columns

The second set of 1000 rows could have it's own set of columns against comments, attachments and labels etc.

Manually merging them is a herculean task and humanly excruciating. 

Like svivanco likes this
3 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2019

Although there is a max. runtime for how long an export can run, you should also try Better PDF Exporter to export those issues to a tabular layout like the one below. (The app has been released for Jira Cloud just recently.)

b088fd88-b60e-402e-83e3-4429b103d98a

2 votes
David Leal
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 10, 2019

I am sharing the solution I have implemented in VBA for overcoming this problem:

How to Overcome JIRA Record limit for Exporting into Excel File implementing a Pagination Strategy with VBA.

at the end of the post, you can download an excel file that includes the VBA source code.

I hope it helps,

David

1 vote
Nilesh Narkhede August 29, 2018

I agree with Trimal, additionally EasyBI is additional cost for us.

Janis Gulbis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 29, 2018

Nilesh, Trimal,

As Nic already mentioned, the export affects the performance of the system (and thus the whole instance and the server), which is why all export requests are limited to a relatively small set.

I assume that Atlassian has set these limits to prevent performance issues resulting from many export requests. Atlassian is not putting limits to "make" you purchase other tools.

It is still possible to export all issues using the REST:API interface, which enables pagination and thus sequential access to all issues. The REST:API access is available to everyone. REST:API access is controlled, monitored and can be blocked if used improperly. And that applies to all the app Vendors on Atlassian Marketplace as well.

There are more than 60 apps on the Atlassian Marketplace for Cloud if you search for "export". eazyBI is not among "export" applications because it's not its purpose – there are many other apps better suited for this task.

If the sole purpose of exporting all issues is to use an external app for data analysis, I would have to agree with Nic again, it will not work very well. It is time-consuming, error-prone, inconsistent, and leads to many sources of "truth".

eazyBI is just one of many reporting apps available on Marketplace. Its sole purpose is to provide Jira users with a relatively simple, self-service tool for building custom Jira reports which are automatically updated, consistent, and provide a single source of "truth".

Nilesh Narkhede August 29, 2018

Hi Janis, I understand performance part of it, is Atlassian working on performance part for users to allow more than 1k records.

Can you provide reference for REST:API which allows to export all issues, also if you can suggest any cost effective Marketplace components which allows to export data.

Janis Gulbis
Marketplace Partner
August 30, 2018

Nilesh,

Unfortunately, I cannot give you a reference for an exact REST:API code (I'm not a developer). 

1) A relatively simple and free workaround is what Alexey Matveev already suggested (You just have to add one pagination parameter to export the next batch of issues):

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/export-more-than-1000-issues-to-excel-from-issue-navigator-in-jira-cloud-779160811.html

2) I could not find any free-apps that would let you export all issues at once. For that, you might need a paid app. You could try these:

* Exporter- Export Issues to Excel CSV PDF

* Advanced Export

3) The third alternative is to try to build a simple REST:API CLI app with only one purpose - to download issues. The Jira Cloud REST:API documentation can be found here:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2018

Nope, they've no plans to do anything about the 1000 limit. 

Gregor mentioned the REST API already, which allows for paging through the results.

1 vote
Nilesh Narkhede August 6, 2018

I have project with issues more than 1000 and need excel to create my own MIS on TAT, pending / resolved issues per team member etc. I think 1000 is very low number if it is related to performance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2018

Not a clue what "MIS on TAT" might be, but it sounds like it needs to be written properly.  Either build reports for Jira, or get that system to ask better questions than just "dump a huge pile of issue data"

0 votes
David Holshouser December 15, 2020

This answer is for server.

Copied from:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-increase-the-jira-search-results-limit-on-the-issue-navigator-357696242.html

Workaround

Follow the instructions in Advanced JIRA Configuration. For JIRA 6 and above, increase the jira.search.stable.max.results to your desired row limit and for JIRA 5, you will need to increase both jira.search.views.default.max and jira.search.views.max.limit to the SAME value.

You will need to restart JIRA for your changes to take effect.
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/advanced-jira-application-configuration-861253983.html

/path/to/your/installation/Application_Data/JIRA/jira-config.properties
jira.export.excel.enabled=true
jira.search.views.default.max=2000
jira.search.views.max.limit=2000
jira.search.views.max.unlimited.group=jira-administrators
jira.search.stable.max.results=2000

0 votes
Phan Văn Sơn December 14, 2020

Dear all.

I am having a similar situation, my issues has more than 5 thousand issues, however I followed the instructions, but only get 2596 issues, the next export file is 0Kb, please help me.

Thanks

Link 3K data is 596 issues

http://localhost:8080/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-csv-all-fields/10946/SearchRequest-10946.csv?tempMax=1000&pager/start=3000

Link to 4K data is 0Kb
http://localhost:8080/sr/jira.issueviews:searchrequest-csv-all-fields/10946/SearchRequest-10946.csv?tempMax=1000&pager/start=4000

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2020

Either your admin has chosen to botch in 2596 as the limit, or your search only fetches 2596 issues.

Phan Văn Sơn December 14, 2020

Thank you, I have just used the status find feature and filtered the status one by one, the data is enough, maybe I have been blocked by the admin for export.

0 votes
Nilesh Narkhede August 6, 2018

Thanks Nic, MIS are custom reports created by our reporting team based on data dump for projects. Jira has limited options of reports and any additional reporting needs additional component to be bought. My point here was even from dump view point, 1k looks very small number in today's world, you agree or not.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2018

No, as doing reporting from a dump is the second worst way you can do reporting.  You're probably importing the data into a generalised tool like excel to do this, and I know from bitter experience that the error rate in excel sheets is between 90 and 99% if they've been built by a human rather than code.  When I see a report done in excel, I have no choice but to assume it is wrong.

Trimal Bisi August 29, 2018

I agree with Nic from the performance and Error point of view. But this is my data and I should be given options to chose from as long as it is convenient to me. This seems to be a trick to give a push to EazyBI which is not at all user friendly

0 votes
Nilesh Narkhede August 5, 2018

This is creating problem, they should allow this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2018

Exporting large numbers of issues is creating a problem (when you go higher, the export affects the performance of the system), and in fact usually indicates a broken process as well. 

You should be looking at why you think you want large exports and fix that.

David Holshouser January 10, 2020

I have to argue the idea that exporting all of the issues in a large project is somehow a wrong concept.

• My customer demands it
  • My ISO 9000 certification demands it for auditing purposes
  • I simply want to verify my project after an upgrade or full server migration

There are many reasons to export more than 1000 issues.

JIRA is an issue tracker that can host projects with unlimited numbers of issues. You just can't look at them.

Even the internal Atlassian ticket for this item is issue number 25495.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-25493

Requesting the ability to export my database should not be responded to with an answer that implies I've somehow done something wrong.

This is ridiculous.

Like # people like this
Shannon May 5, 2021

I'm trying to export my complete data set for my project to enable analysis of request channel which is not currently available in JSM. Their recommended work around is to select all issues where request-channel-type = Jira, then export and create second and third exports request-channel-type = Email, request-channel-type = Portal. 

I have this limited to 120 days and by request-channel-type and all three data sets are over 1000 issues. 

There are reasons outside of a "broken process" and in my case it's with regard to a gap in the JSM service offering. JSM reporting has room to grow, and until all gaps are filled (never) there will always be a need to export large counts of records. 

0 votes
Beakon Support November 1, 2017

Thanks everyone I managed to export them with Alexey's workaround.

Legend :D

0 votes
Gregor Kasmann_Actonic
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 30, 2017

It is not possible out of the box, but you can try to create a simple application, to export tickets using REST.

https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/cloud/#api/2/search-search

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events