Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a smart value for Component Lead (Lead Developer)?

Rosa M Fossi August 17, 2020

I find myself in this scenario: 

I need to check whether current assignee = component lead during a specific transition. 

If my current assignee = component lead, then take some actions (add a comment, select a new assignee, or some such).   

Does anyone know if this comparison is possible?  

The only posts I've found are from before Atlassian took over Automation for JIRA.  Codebarrel had it on a backlog.   

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2020

Hi @Rosa M Fossi ,

I don't think this is possible using Automation for Jira. I didn't find any way to obtain the lead from the issue's component (just the component's name). According to the other posts it is not implemented yet.

There could me more components and it is also possible some components don't have any lead, so your scenario is not easy to handle.

Are there any other applications you could use?

Rosa M Fossi August 18, 2020

Thanks for your response Hana.  I'm not sure there's another app I could use.  The key here is the association between a component and an agent (the "no component lead" scenario shouldn't matter... the comparison would still pass/fail. null != <useraccount>)

I've been thinking about this, and perhaps a workaround is to create my own hidden field called "component owner".  Then create an automation that populates the field with my desired agent based on the component selected.  Then maybe I can use that field for the comparison if component owner = current assignee then...  

I've also thought that maybe I can leverage user properties; however, I'm not certain if that's safe for long term (something tickles my memory about properties. Maybe they are being deprecated in the long run?).   Also, that might not be as easy to maintain / implement in an automation as a custom field.    

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2020

Yes, this should be possible.

1) Create custom field with type User Picker (single user), let's name it CO

2) Create first automation rule, which sets the value of CO based on the selected Components (probably using several "if/else" and "then" blocks

• if Components contains any of Component1 then edit CO: set User1
  • else if Components contains any of Component2 then edit CO: set User2
  • else ...

3) Create the second automation rule with if condition, which compares value of the Assignee field and CO

Like Deleted user likes this
Rosa M Fossi August 18, 2020

Thanks for rubber ducking this with me.   I'm going to give this a try. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events