Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the new service desk product suitable for a public help desk?

Marcus Lambert October 2, 2013

Hi, our dev teams use jira on demand, and our support teams use Zendesk for public facing customer support. Can I replace Zendesk with the new service desk offering?

6 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2013

So...thoughts:

1) Have all items come in as an default user and capture the users contact name info

2) Tie it with JEMH to handling the communication aspects of it

JEMH was built to handle these kind of requirements around limiting license costs and still being able to communicate with customers. All items coming in would be a "Automation User" but if you have JEMH setup up right, you'll be able to intake mail and communicate out about it.

Is SD perfect? No. It's v1. But it solves a lot of problems for folks and there are ways around things with out bending the tools too out of shape.

Kris van der Starren October 2, 2013

I have the same question as well. I was very excited to see the Service Desk offering and signed up for a trial but, after creating a new service desk, I don't see any way for users to log a support request without being logged into JIRA.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 22, 2013

Kris, see #2 above.

2 votes
Marcus Lambert October 3, 2013

mmmb looking at it it looks like you have to have licenced users, its a shame. Atlassian may be missing a big trick here.

Marcus Lambert October 22, 2013

Also noticed that ondemand licenceing would be quite expensive as you have to buy a full jira seat and and agile seat (if you are using that) as well as service desk seat.

So if I wanted to add 100 external users it would cost me $600 a month.

I really hope the SD vNext moves to be able to be used as a Zen or desk.com replacement as its in a prime postion to do so.

1 vote
luishdez November 26, 2013

It's not suitable (period)

It doesn't worth it, zendesk or other options desk.com… Are way cheaper and fits better that purpose.

1 vote
Walter Maes October 2, 2013

Same question here
More specifically I was wondering whether :

* a user that logs a request needs to be part of the licensed Jira user on the Service desk system
* on the customer portal : a customer is able to check the list of previous requests made by other members of his team?
* multiple customers can be handled through the same Jira Service Desk project but without these customers having access to issues from other customers?
* the customer portal "my request" list can be further customized (eg. showingFixVersion)?
* the customer portal "view request"form can be further customized (eg more actions the "Add comment")?

Thanks

B_ Normann P_ Nielsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2013

I agree with Marcus, this is getting very expensive - we have an internet facing JIRA with autocreation of users - currently approx. +1500 users - where only someting like 500 are active or "new", the rest are old, spam or systems mailing in.

The SD pluging will cost us $12000 + the JIRA license - way to expensive for a 25 man company, so we extract JIRA data to splunk to get the same SLA data. And looking into OTRS or ZenDesk as replacement

Finally, this is actually what JIRA has been missing, so I am sad its not a general part of JIRA, or way cheaper/different license model for pulic JIRA's

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2013

Normann, why not use SD to help your team manage the work better, is an email only route with JEMH to include external users viable, that would be only 500$ ?

There is a How To regarding JEMH/ServiceDesk integration.

Karsten Thygesen November 3, 2013

Andy, I dont understand what Your point actually is? You link to a page that tells how to integrate JEMH with the new Service Desk plugning?

0 votes
Jason Larmour October 22, 2013

That's my issue too!

0 votes
Matt October 2, 2013

I would also like a answer to this.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events