Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the email service handler in Jira Service Desk only needed to create tickets?

JJ April 29, 2022

The email handler for a jira service desk project stopped authenticating so I deleted it. Now, it appears that when you reply to an email sent from jira it goes to the generic email address that Jira Software uses and not the one related to the service desk project.

But it seems to be adding comments via replying to an email just fine. So my question is, do we only need a jira service desk email handler if we want to create new tickets via email? I'm wondering if I even need to worry about the fact that the JSD email handler won't authenticate and let the Jira Software email handler take care of it instead.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Artur Moura
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 5, 2022

Hi @JJ

Atlassian always recommends using the Email request handler on Service Desk projects, because if the user doesn't have a license (Customer user), using the Jira software mail handler, the message will be rejected.

Here at this Receiving requests by email document has more detailed information.

Hoping this clarifies, please let us know your thoughts.

JJ May 5, 2022

This is helpful. Everyone who emails us has an account so the problem with non-account holders being unable to create tickets in the project is a non-issue. Thank you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events