cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to have an hidden value attach to a list value

Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2021

When you create a custom field with a list value (select, radio), is it possible to add a "backend value" to a an option?

• As an exemple, in our change process, there is a risk assesment that should be fullfilled when submitting a change request.
    • The assesment consist of several questions with multiples answers (Radio button)
    • Each answer represent a numeric value, a weigth as per our definition.
    • When the assesment is completed, answers weight are added together and the resulting value defines the change's potential impact based on a defined scale.

Is there a way to do this in JIRA Service Management ?

Also we want to make sure it won't be too cumbersome to update

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2021

You cannot add a hidden value to the list, but you can add a field that is hidden by not adding it to the screen. At my previous job we also had a risk assessment process and the way I did it was doing the calculation of the risk value based on what the user selected using Scriptrunner. If you are using the ITSM template for JSM it comes with an automation that calculates the risk on changes, and you can use that one as an example to build your risk assessment calculation. Automation would be easier than Scriptrunner to maintain, but you can do more complicated calculations in Scriptrunner.

Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2021

What you are saying is the hidden field would contain the value associate to a custom field. And the numerical value associated to the choice made in the customfield list would be found in conditions in Automation. The maintenance could become really substantiel really fast

In other ITSM tools it is possible to add a backend value associated to a customfield option. It does not seem to work easily with JIRA Service Management, it looks more like a workaround, and that complicate the use of this.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2021

No, what I meant with the hidden field was that you can use that to add values based on your calculations. 

The solution I created in Scriptrunner was similar to what you can do with these app, SoftComply Risk Manager, Risk Register.

Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 9, 2021

Thank you for your answer.

So it is possible but not easy to do this out of the box  in JSM. 

I already looked at Risk register and you are correct that would really great to use this.

But sadly my hands are tied. The cie I work for has really strict criteria for adding an apps. We must take inot account the side effects that would occur if the supplier stopped offering its apps tomorrow, especially with a Cloud hosting. 

0 votes
Craig Schwarze _ProjectBalm_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 9, 2021

Jira's inbuilt automation should do something like this for you pretty easily. Go to Projects => Automation to set up your rules. In the example below, I change priority depending upon the assignee. But the trigger field could be "risk probability" and the action field could be "risk probability numeric" for example.

kind regards,
Craig Schwarze
Risk Register - Risk Management for an Agile World

Capture.PNG

Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2021

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your answer, that was the solution given by default by Atlassian. I was hoping to be able to use an hidden value to a field so it would simplify the atoamtion. I could have something like "field a value hidden" + "field b value hidden" = score

And with this score I could asses what I want to assess.

Without the hidden value field, it is way more complex to do.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM Trial
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events