Install Jira Service Management via Helm Chart

Christian Ludwig December 1, 2021

Hello Atlassian Community :)

Unfortunately we are unable to raise a request with the Atlassian Support (just receive the error message: "Something went wrong, please try submitting your request again."), but maybe you are able to help.

We are currently setting up Jira Service Management as part of a proof of concept within one of our Kubernetes clusters (RKE / on-prem) via the Helm charts released in September.

Announcement: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Atlassian-Data-Center-on/The-moment-you-ve-all-been-waiting-for/ba-p/1798650

Unfortunately we now discovered that, however the article above as well as the data-center roadmap states otherwise, it is apparently not possible to (directly) install Jira Service Management via Helm. At least it is not documented how to switch between Jira products (Docker images) with the Helm chart (or I missed it). Changing the image parameter accordingly results in a not ready pod, while the health check only returns a 500.

Did someone experience similar issues and may explain how to deploy Jira Service Management to Kubernetes via Helm? Of course pointing to the relevant documentation would do as well.

I was able to manually install the Service Management Application (OBR) from the marketplace, but this is definitely not a clean way to go. Another option might be bundling the JAR file from within the OBR application file with the `jira.additionalBundledPlugins` parameter provided by the Helm chart, but I don' really know if any additional metadata from the OBR file is needed.

Service Management Application (OBR): https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1213632/jira-service-desk/version-history

Helm chart values: https://github.com/atlassian/data-center-helm-charts/tree/main/src/main/charts/jira#values

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Christian Ludwig December 3, 2021

Swapping the image via the image.repository Helm chart value works without problems.

The solution is as simple as specifying the following in your values.yaml.

image:
  repository: atlassian/jira-servicemanagement
  tag: 4.20.1-jdk11
0 votes
Yevhen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2021

Hi @Christian Ludwig I'll let folks from DC deployments have their say of course, but I don't think JSM is supported and Jira software Helm chart won't work with JSM image. At least, swapping image will most certainly lead to failures. Installing as a plugin is an option.

@Adam Brokes or @Dylan Rathbone will confirm and add more details

Christian Ludwig December 2, 2021

Hi @Yevhen , Thank you for your feedback.

As the Helm chart roadmap item states "shipped", the linked blog post mentions JSM and one is directed to the Helm chart repo following the JSM Data Center Kubernetes install instructions... that would be quite misleading.

Atlassian Support got back yesterday to me - seems my request was overlooked - and suggested swapping the image via the image.repository Helm chart value. It works without problems so far. Seems something else was wrong with my previous attempts.

The solution is simple as specifying the following in your values.yaml.

image:
  repository: atlassian/jira-servicemanagement
  tag: 4.20.1-jdk11

Unfortunately the documentation doesn't mention this possibility at any point. Specific instructions for JSM could be useful here.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events