Importing or Updating Historical (closed) tickets via CSV

David April 22, 2021

Hello I've imported our tickets into Service Management by CSV.

All items came in successfully, but the status field did not seem to apply correctly. All of my closed and resolved items imported as open or waiting for feedback.

Should I scrap my project and try again, or is there a better way to update them based on issue key?

1 answer

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

@David -

When you use the "Import Issues from CSV" option in JSM, it works as issue creation thus your issue's WF status as OPEN or Waiting for Feedback.

Option 1)

To update your imported issues, you will need to use the External System Import function via the Jira Administration dropdown menu and select "System" option.  (I am assuming that you have Jira system admin right.  If not, you will need to ask your system admin team to assist you)

2021-04-22_10-55-55.png

2021-04-22_10-56-43.png

The CSV file to be used in this process, you must have the following columns:

a) Issue Key, b) Issue summary, c) status  where the last column will contain your desired status.

NOTE - Your terminal status to be applied must be already defined in your WF + there must already be a transition established allowing you to move from "OPEN" or "Waiting for Feedback" directly to your terminal status.

Option 2)

Use Issue Search based on your JQL criteria and conduct a bulk change operation -

2021-04-22_11-05-35.png

Select the "Transition Issues" operation during the bulk change process.

NOTE - Your terminal status to be applied must be already defined in your WF + there must already be a transition established allowing you to move from "OPEN" or "Waiting for Feedback" directly to your terminal status.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

David April 22, 2021

Thank you Joseph, I was able to sort out my core issue being the workflow.

Now when attempting an import I'm seeing this:

Unexpected failure occurred. Importer will stop immediately. Data may be in an unstable state: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntityException: while inserting. (Privacy-safe boxing of a org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException): while inserting. (Privacy-safe boxing of a org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException): Privacy-safe boxing of a org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: Privacy-safe boxing of a org.postgresql.util.PSQLException

I'm currently in trial, wondering if that is the reason here?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2021

@David -

You will need to review your WFs used in your JSM project to ensure that there is proper transition defined between the initial WF status to your desired terminal status.

Don't know what you changed in your WFs, so it is hard to understand your latest issue took place during your new import.

Are you creating issue via "Import issues from CSV"?  or trying to update the issues that imported earlier.

Best, Joseph

David April 22, 2021

Currently using "import issues from CSV". Setup a new project with a limited CSV to isolate my issues.

The original issue was due to some requests not having a request type mapped. They had resolved/closed/canceled states, but there was no workflow that would accommodate. I updated those requests to type "service request".

Now I'm seeing the "data may be in an unstable state" error only.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 22, 2021

@David -

Your latest action has no relationship in regarding to your original ask of updating the newly created issues' WF status.  

You will still need to evaluate the associated WF for further details.  NOTE - you cannot change the status via CSV file using "Import Issues from CSV".  The imported issues will always be using the initial WF status defined in your WF for the "service request" type.

The other problem could be the CSV file content is not properly mapped to the fields defined in your new project's service request request type setup.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events