Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas on how to run Automation on Closed Tickets

Christine Fowkes April 29, 2021

We've been making some updates and using Automation to populate that information. However, I cannot find a way to run Automation against all Closed tickets except going in and running the Automation manually on each ticket. I really don't want to have to do that. Or I'll take ideas for bulk updates if this isn't possible.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Yassin BEN-NACEUR _FlowZess_ April 29, 2021

Hi Christine, the solution is to use Run using Cron Express. And the first you should in your rule is to filter using JQL for example and search your closed ticket. Here you can generate Cron Expression http://www.cronmaker.com

Christine Fowkes April 29, 2021

Thanks, I'll take a look at that!!

Christine Fowkes April 30, 2021

I looked at this and it really just seems to extend my scheduling capabilities which wouldn't address the situation I'm trying to address, unless I am missing something.

I spoke too soon. I see that I can pair this with a JQL statement which gets me closer. now to deal with the issue of notifications - off to test.

Christine Fowkes May 3, 2021

So this is the best option. It still triggers that there was an Update on the Issue. Since I don't need for it to run on a regular basis I leave the Automation rule off. Then when I want to run it I turn off and Update notifications in the Scheme, turn it on, run it, turn it off then turn the notifications back on. I will do this during off hours for clean up purposes.

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

@Christine Fowkes -

Hi Christine:

Automation is triggered by a specific event (i.e. issue status changed to CLOSED etc..).  Based on your ask, it seems that your automation is not setup properly where the update action against all closed tickets is therefore not triggered.

Need to know more of your automation rule, before I can assist further.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Since they are already Closed, there is no action to take. Unless you mean I should see an action in the triggers to update all Closed items - but I don't see that, but that would be a nice add. The thought was to go through and add a comment to all Closed tickets which would then trigger my Automation I already have set up. But that will send out a lot of notifications - unless there is a way to disable that in the Automation. We're pretty new to Jira - just went full live with our customers, so still learning. Going to look into the Cron option mentioned earlier.

Thanks!!

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2021

@Christine Fowkes -

If you want to add comment for CLOSED issues, have you thought of customizing your WF via post-function?, so when an issue is closed, it will automatically add your comments.  Or customize the WF to enforce comment is required when closing the issue via Validation?

In my opinion, this is the preferred and proactive route.  So, comment is there for all the issues when they are closed.

Forgot to mention, if you don't want customer to be notified regarding to comments added to the issue, just make sure the comments are internal type and not shared with customers.

Best, Joseph

That's an idea but it would still trigger a comment to our Agents and that is a concern.

Verena Koller March 23, 2023

Hi, I am now facing a similar issue. 

I am also pretty new to jira as well as my team. I have set up now an automation rule to add components based on certain criteria. I would also like to have those components on already closed tickets - is there now a way to run my rules on existing / closed tickets? 

Same as mentioned above, adding comments and another rule would go beyond my resources right now and in addition trigger notification with a bunch of users that I really do not want to spam. 

Thanks 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events