Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IT Service Category Hierarchical Structure

Tan Ng March 21, 2021

Hi All,

In a typical IT catalog, IT services are grouped by a IT category in a hierarchical structure

Level 1: IT service category 

-->Level 2: IT service type

------>Level 3: IT service name (typically specific product name)

Here are some examples:

IT service category: End User Services

IT service type: Laptop Service

• IT service name: Apple Mac
  • IT service name: Lenovo Windows
  • IT service name: Lenovo Linux

IT service category: End User Services

IT service type: Laptop Encryption Service

• IT service name: FileVault
  • IT service name: BitLocker

IT service category: Communication & Collaboration Service

IT service type: Video Conferencing service

• IT service name: Zoom
  • IT service name: WebEx

If I need to report based on IT service category, IT service type, or IT service name, how would I setup the Jira Service Management?

I don't think request types, services, and project component can be configured this requirement.  Is there any other feature that can be used for this requirement?

Any helps will be appreciated.  Thanks.

3 answers

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2021

@Tan Ng 

In our Jira/JSM DC environments - For JSM project, we use the following implementation by using Request Types for Level 1, then we use JSM's "Product Categorization" field (cascade dropdown data type) to achieve your Level 2 and Level 3 requirements.

Example -

We setup different request type form of for different teams, then in the Product Categorization field (you will need to ask your Jira Admin Team to customize your cascade dropdown list options), so you can properly tag every JSM issue accordingly - see below

At the Request Type Level -

2021-03-21_17-33-09.png

At the Product Categorization field -

2021-03-21_17-29-08.png

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Tan Ng March 22, 2021

@Joseph Chung Yin ,

Thank you for the reply.  The  customized field, "Product Categorization", using  the Cascading Select List field makes a lot of sense for two level selections.  It is just too bad that the Jira Cloud does not have 3+ level of cascading.  I heard that Jira Server/DC can have the Multi-Level Cascading Select.

I am not sure that I follow the Request Type field as Level 1. 

1. In your screenshot, the Portal Group (e.g. Access & Accounts, Applications & Software, Computer & Hardware, etc.) looks more like Level 1.  However, the Portal Group is only a user interface presentation, not an issue field.
  2. If Level 1 value is selected, it should drive the Level 2 values.  The Request Type or Portal Group cannot determine the Level 2 values.  If the Level 2 field (Product Categorization) shows all the possible values, the user may select the Level 2 value that is not related to Level 1 value too, causing a incorrect Level 1/2 relationship.

Here is another idea:

1. Use the Component field for Level 1 (IT category).  The Level 1 values should be relatively a short list and is fairly static.

2. For a known Request Type form that can tie to a Level 1,

• auto-populate the Component field value and put it as a hidden field. 
  • auto-populate the Product Categorization field Level 2 value
  • allow the users to select the Product Categorization field Level 3 value
  • use Automation to to auto-populate the Component field after submit to make sure the Level 2 and Level 1 hierarchical relationship remains correct even if the users override the Level 2 value.

3. For a generic Request Type form that cannot tie to a Level 1:

• allow the users to select the Product Product Categorization field Level 2 and Level 3.  The disadvantage is that Level 2 may be a long list.
  • use Automation to to auto-populate the Component field after submit.

I will try to test this idea out.  I am not sure if assigning the Level 2 value is possible.  Please let me know what you think. 

Thanks,

Tan

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2021

@Tan Ng -

For the Multiple Levels Cascade Select, it is a separate third party add-n (extra costs) where Product Categorization is a built-in field.

In regards to Level 1 - You can group different request type forms ( It is not an issue field ).  However when the issue is created,  it will be associated with the specific request type form.

Yes, you can use components to tag your issues and you can use either automation or WF customization to control the population of the Product Categorization or Component assignment.  Your ask is simply trying to tag your issues properly.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Helga Stroman May 2, 2023

I can definitely help you with that.
An IT service category hierarchical structure is a way of organizing IT services based on their relationship to each other. This structure helps to better understand the relationships between different types of IT services and how they work together. A typical IT service category hierarchical structure can be organized in three levels:

1. Strategic Level: The top-level or strategic tier deals with overall business objectives and sets broad parameters used to define technology requirements. In simple terms, it defines what IT should do for the entire organization. Examples of strategic level categories include Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Supply Chain Management (SCM), Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS), and Project Portfolio Management (PPM).

2. Tactical Level: The middle or tactical tier uses a more practical approach to fulfill business needs identified at the strategic level by utilizing available technology resources within a specific department or unit. Examples of tactical level categories include Network Infrastructure, Local Applications, Remote End Users Support, etc.

3. Operational Level: The bottom level or operational tier is concerned with the day-to-day delivery and management of IT services created by the tactical unit. This includes tasks such as monitoring network performance, maintaining equipment and software systems, and resolving issues that may arise from users. Examples of operational level categories include Server Administration, Desktop Support, Helpdesk Support, Security Operations, Database Administration.

Overall, an IT service category hierarchical structure makes it easier for organizations to plan and manage their IT services effectively. By clearly defining categories of service provided at each level within this structure, it becomes easy to describe roles and responsibilities in detail while ensuring seamless workflow across different teams responsible for providing various IT services.

I hope this gives you an idea about how an IT service category hierarchical structure works! Let me know if you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today!

0 votes
Eher Roha March 25, 2021

yes I also faced the similar issue that you are facing here but you can see here on this link about this issues solution.

Tan Ng April 7, 2021

@Eher Roha 

Can you share the link that you have mentioned?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events