I need your feedback on how to organize Jira Service Desk

Gabriel Viger March 4, 2019

Hello Community,

I need your feedback on an idea that my superiors had to re-organize our JSD projects.

Right now, our Service Desk projects are organized by teams where you can raise different request such as bugs, change requests or feature requests.

Ex.:

By Team

current-setup-jsd.png

Then you can choose a request type:

requests.png

Now my superiors have the idea to re-organize projects by request type so there is one channel to submit new features, change requests or bugs to all teams.

I told them that this was not a good idea based on many arguments such as:

* All teams would manage their change request or feature request in the same projects, but bugs in another one.
* Each teams have different workflows for common issue types
* Each teams have different screens/fields for common issue types
* All teams queues would be in the same project (imagine the number of queues...)
* And many more reasons I could come up with... (please add more reasons that you think of)

I am not saying that it is not possible to configure a JSD project that way (I have done it for some teams who decided after some time that having their own JSD project was a better solution) but I am strongly against this idea of how they want to re-organize project and processes that are already working well.

This is why I am reaching the community to have your feedback based on your opinion or experience.

Thanks in advance :)

1 comment

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2019

My current implementation is sort of like what your supers are requesting.

• I have one project for all IT issues this includes desktop support/network issues, etc. as well as product issues: ERP, internal tools, etc.
  • The request types define the category: general IT, printer, phone, computer, Software applications, etc.
  • if someone opens a general application issue they are required to select a Component that specifies the application
  • we use automation and manual triage by a small team of IT engineers to ensure the issue gets into the correct hands
  • we use JSW for all product development so the JSD Agents will Create Linked Issue if it require the dev team's efforts
  • we do NOT use JSD for tracking dev issues directly

not sure this helped but it is data...

Gabriel Viger March 4, 2019

Hi Jack!

Thanks for your feedback! 

I see that your model is more ITSM related to what we currently do with our JSD projects.

We mostly (but not exclusively) manage Change and New Feature requests that requires more (but not always) of a development life cycle workflow.

Since we are about 1200 employees at the ALDO group, it was an easier solution (and more efficient) to implement JSD so that the business can raise requests to IT teams and follow-up on them (which are not ITSM related).

Please do not hesitate to provide more feedback if it comes to your mind :)

Thanks!

Like Marty likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events