Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am interested to replace old Email Triage automation with new automation rules

Richard Vencu November 3, 2020

I read most articles about automation and service desk and I could not find an example of how to triage emails via new automation

Perhaps I am not very clear how the email creation issues work. If the incoming email (after passing the spam gates) is just converted into a new issue then the (old) automation is applied, this is easy, I just create a new automation, check the inbound channel and start to automate it as I wish.

But if the old automation for email triage takes place before the issue is created then I need help with my question.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sam Harding
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 4, 2020

Hi Richard,

Jack's answer is correct, I believe the confusion here may be around when the (new) automation rule is triggered. The trigger happens on the issue being created, not on the email itself, so your rule would be triaging the generated issue, not the incoming email.

If it is the case that there are conflicting rules between old and new automation, and your old automation rules have not been migrated to new, then it may be necessary for you to turn off/remove the old automation rules for the new automation to behave as you are expecting.

Richard Vencu November 4, 2020

Thanks.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2020

Richard,

I'm not sure if I understand here or not. By "old automation" I am assuming you mean the original JSD Automation prior to Project automation becoming Automation?

Let me see if I can throw out some text and see if it hits the mark...

So both the original Automation and Project automation rules worked independently and could be triggered upon creation of an issue so in effect you could create rules that collided in some way. So basically they work independently and you needed to place care when creating. Atlassian has, as you are likely aware, begun to roll out a single Automation solution and most cloud users are on this by this time I suspect. Moreover, Atlassian is automatically rewriting your legacy rules replacing w/ new rules. So you should not have to worry w/ any of this in theory.

one last comment on your last sentence...

Automation (old or new) do not take place "before the issue is created". Automations can only happen post creation.

Richard Vencu November 3, 2020

Yes. I noticed the change and heard old rules will be automatically replaced

Is good to know the order of operations thanks a lot

I will wait for the conversion then expand from there

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events