Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update service desk issue state when linked issue in Jira Software state is updated

Manuel Adalid November 8, 2018

Hey,

so I'm trying to create an automation rule that does what I described on the title.

Basically, some Service Desk Client opens a request, and then if it's something like a bug that we have to solve I create a linked issue in the related project (for example backend project), what I want is that when that linked issue state changes it shows in the service desk request.

My automation rule looks like this:

- When this happens...

A linked issue is transitioned

- If these match...

Linked issue matches: status = "In Progress"

- Then do this...

Transition issue to "In Progress"

But this is not doing anything and I'm not sure what am I doing wrong.

Thanks in advance for the help.

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2018

this should be relatively straightforward. Here is something I use in my instance...

automation transition.jpg

Deleted user November 8, 2018

+1

Akhila K Saju June 18, 2020

Do this work for remote issue linking?
my use-case is to update service desk issues whenever the status changes for Jira software issues. 
I tried the solution mentioned above. But this is working only for internal linking. ie, within the service desk issues.

Is there any other option? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2020

if by remote you mean a link to an issue in another project, yes it does. I use it between my JSD project and JSW projects. Note, things have changed a bit since this post and Cloud users have two sources (combined into one in the future) of Automation: "Automation" (which this post was referencing) and Project Automation (which is the acquired Automation for Jira). So you have two methods of having the JSD issue updated when the JSW issue is transitioned.

I am using JSD, JSW server. And what I meant by remote issue linking is that linking between an issue in JSD and an issue in JSW. Both automation and Project Automation options are available for me.

I didn't find the same workaround in Project automation 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2020

ah, this thread is about Cloud nonetheless you should be able to make it work. I know server folks have used automation in similar way. So what exactly are you seeing? Are you able to set up the rule but it fails or are you not able to create the necessary rule at all? Note that you will need to have permissions to the JSW project to be able to set this up i think.

I can set up the rule through Automation, but not even get triggered when I changed the status of a JSW issue(checked the log for automation rule).

What I exactly need is

I have an issue in JSD which is being linked with an issue in JSW.
Now I need to change the status of JSD issue automatically , whenever the linked JSW issue changes its status.

Like Deleted user likes this
Deleted user June 30, 2020

I am having the same issue I think.   

I have set up JSD to capture all issues.  Some issues need to be dealt with in JSD and some will require the development team who use JSW.   

1. So I have created an automation in JSD that when an issue is transitioned to Dev required, a new ticket is created in JSW and is linked.  Brilliant works every time. 
  2. Now what I need to do is is when the ticket is transitioned in JSW from the main tickets to to 'Done - add to release', an update is automatically sent back to the original ticket to move it to the testing queue on JSD.   

I don't even know where to start with the automation in JSW its in a totally different place and uses different.

Is this the same?

safovski February 3, 2021

Hello @[deleted]

Basically what I've done is:

• created a global rule, because the rule needs access from both projects (JSD,JSW)
  • created a trigger "When issue transitioned" from one to another status (note: these statuses should be the ones transitioned in the JSW project)
  • added a new condition to check whether the issue is linked or not. I don't want to continue with execution if the issue is not linked
  • added a new branch for the linked issue with the link type
  • set an action under the newly created branch to transition the issue to the new status

It works well for me.

Like Nathan Sharratt likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events