Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup Jira Service Desk incoming emails for office 365 emails?

Andy Gonzalez July 20, 2018

Hi,

No sure what to use:

• Email protocol
  • Mail server
  • Port Number

Help please. 

Thanks. 

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Knut Arne Ristebråten
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2018

Hi, 

Here are the mail server settings for o365. Recommend using IMAP. 

• IMAP incoming server:    outlook.office365.com

• IMAP port:    993

• IMAP SSL:    Yes

• SMTP outgoing server:    smtp.office365.com

• SMTP port:    587

• SMTP SSL or TLS:    TLS

• POP incoming server:    outlook.office365.com

• POP port:    995

• POP SSL:    Yes

Source: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/pop-and-imap-email-settings-for-outlook-8361e398-8af4-4e97-b147-6c6c4ac95353

If the settings do not work, make sure IMAP is activated on your account in o365. 

You can also find this information by logging into your o365 mail account on the web, press the cog up in right corner and choose 'mail' under 'your app settings'. The choose POP and IMAP in left hand menu under accounts. 

Dean Gibson May 1, 2020

thanks

1 vote
No January 2, 2019

Here is what worked for me.

First of all, you must allow POP / IMAP access in Outlook admin centre for specific email account.

Also check the exact name of shared mailbox in Azure portal -> Users. Because you can have different company name after "@" in email address and domain name after "@" in Azure portal, (your domain name synchronized with Azure)

Info: 

username@example.com  - Your email address with O365 license with full access to shared                                                     mailbox below.

shared_mailbox@domain_name.com  - shared mailbox name with specific domain name,                                                                       look into Azure portal -> Users. 

(Also you can use shared mailbox wihout license with little trick in azure portal, try search google, It can be against O365 TOS, so I'll not give any info here)

Jira helpdesk (server) settings:

Protocol: SECURE_POP

Host name: outlook.office365.com

POP / IMAP Port: 995

Username:

username@example.com\shared_mailbox@domain_name.com

Thomas Fuechsel October 11, 2019

Hi J,

I am trying to configure the same:

1. accessing O365 shared mailbox
  2. through O365 user mailbox having full access permissions on 1.
  3. Jira Mail Handler

FYI - configuring the above works seamlessly on POP3s using

Username: usermailbox@domain.com/sharedmailbox_alias

PW: usermailbox_PW

I am facing issues when doing this with IMAP and have questions to your comment:

1.  is the backslash correct in the username? Shouldnt it be the normal foreslash? E.g. usermailbox_UPN@domain.com/sharedmailbox_UPN@domain.com
  2. you distinguish between user mailbox domain and shared mailbox domain - can you clarify on what you mean by "shared mailbox name with specific domain name"
No October 11, 2019

First of all, I dunno why but secure IMAP don't work for my Jira service desk, I only use secure POP.

1. With Secure POP,It can work with either backslash or foreslash.

2. We have this particular setup, in local AD, domain name is something1.com and we have domain alias in place. So UPNs of users have username@something2.com.

Local AD is then synced to Azure AD and we have both domains names active there. something1 and something2. All email address have SMTP aliases with both domains in Exchange.

And for some reason. Jira service desk (server) login only with this:

username@something2.com\shared_mailbox@something1.com

Any other combination will fail with authentication error in Jira.

So look into Exchange online > Mailboxes > search particular shared mailbox object > email addresses.

Ps.: In Jira, I don't even use "incoming mail" servers setup in Jira Core. I have only mail handler there.

Then I setup "Email requests" in one of the Jira service desk Project. Only at one.

And Jira automagically recognize where to add email user response to Jira notification email.

Thomas Fuechsel October 11, 2019

Thanks J, IMAP seems to be a general issue as POP works seamlessly also for me.

I have tried what you suggested with no luck. So I leave it with POP or I may turn into a user mailbox.

BR
Thomas

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events