How to set up Issue Security in Service Desk?

Alan Bruce September 1, 2020

I am trying to set up Issue Security in our Service Desk. Here is my use case:

• Service Desk Team A should be able to View/Edit all issues
  • Service Desk Team B should be able to View/Edit Issues for a specific Issue Type

Which users should see the project?

• Service Desk Customers
  • Support Staff
  • Administrators

Security Levels needed?

• I was thinking just one - For Team B 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Alan

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2020

Actually, no, you want a level set up for group A, not B.

Security levels work by granting access to only the people named in the level.  For your situation, where A can edit anything and B only one issue type, you should do something like

Create a security scheme with one level, say "secret".  You then name Group A in the level.

This means that issues that have no security set can be seen by anyone.  Issues that are set to "secret" can only be seen by Group A

As you want to do this by issue type, you'll need a post-function, listener or automation that can set the level to "secret" on all issue that should be hidden from B.

Correct but they want Service Team B to 'Only' view/edit their teams tickets and not see any of the other tickets.

So I am guessing that I need 2 security levels

1 - All access for all support teams except Team B

2  - Access for Team B and Reporter only

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2020

> they want Service Team B to 'Only' view/edit their teams tickets 

That's what I described already

No, you don't need two security levels, as I said before, only one is needed.  You only need one that says "only group A can see this".  You need to apply that level to all the issues that you do not want B to see.

For the issues B should be able to see, you do nothing.  With no security level set, all people who can see the project can see the issue.

I tried that and the Service Team B could View/Edit all tickets.

I think is has to do with the Service Desk Team Permissions that Team B needs to be added to in order to edit tickets

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 1, 2020

The security level is nothing to do with edit permission.

You have not set up the security in the way I've listed.  Try the absolutely most simple case, from scratch:

• Create an issue security scheme
    • Add one single level to it
    • In that level, give it the single rule:  Group A
  • Now go back to the project and
    • Check that Group A has "set security" permission
    • Associate the new issue security scheme with the project
    • Make sure the field "level" is on the create issue screen
  • Next log in as someone in group A and create two issues.  One with the security level set, the other with it left empty
  • Now log out, and back in as someone in group B.  You will find they can only see the issue without the security level set
Like Kerli Loopman likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events