How to select the proper user for the Run As Rules in Automation

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2021

Dear all,

In our service Desk from our production Jira instance, we have implemented Automation in 2 sections :

• Automation Legacy
  • Automation

In the first section Automation Legacy we have some rules which gets executed as my own user which I do not want as it as automation process.

I have see that we have 2 internal users related to Automation which are :

• Automation Lite for Jira Cloud
  • Automation for Jira

Can I simply replace my current user by Automation Lite for Jira Cloud user as part of the Run As user for all rules belonging to legacy automation ?

Does that account has proper rights to execute all those default rules in place ?

Thanks for advise

regards

2 answers

0 votes
Aspa Stathi September 12, 2023

Hi to all,

Could you please inform me if the “User who triggered the rule” will work even if the trigger point comes from a customer?

E.g. we have a legacy automation via which the SD ticket changes status to either "Waiting for support" or "Waiting for customer", based on whom the reply comes from. So, if customer replies, will the rule be trigger properly? Another example is the customer reply which reopens an already closed ticket.

The issue in my case is that my name (used in all automations) is displayed even in e-mails sent to customers for tickets' updates.

Thanks,

Aspa

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 18, 2021

Hello @serge calderara,

Thanks for reaching out to Community!

The default user to run legacy automation must be a project administrator with a Service Management license, but there is an exception.

On each automation rule, you can select the option “User who triggered the rule”, so it won’t show your name, but it will show from the agent that made the change. 

Please, go to the Legacy automation and on each rule select “User who triggered the rule”. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 18.07.13.png

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Angélica

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2021

thanks @Angélica Luz for your reply.

what is user Automation Lite for Jira Cloud and which rights does it have exactly?

regards

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 19, 2021

The Automation Lite for Jira Cloud is the add-on user that was created when the Automation for Jira was not part of Jira/Atlassian.

Each add-on that is installed also creates a user so it can have the correct permissions on the site and projects. If the “user” exists, it means that at some point the add-on was installed on your site. 

The groups added to this user are: atlassian-addons, jira-users, atlassian-addons-admin, jira-software-users, jira-servicedesk-users. 

Since it’s not visible in the UI because it’s not a “real user” you can manage, it’s not possible to change the groups or add to the project as administrator.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events