Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restrict access to knowledge base articles if they are uncategorized?

candy_pearson November 30, 2020

I understand how to restrict viewing articles or Confluence pages based on user permissions and groups. But I want to restrict access to knowledge base articles if the articles themselves are uncategorized. If they are floating out there, I don't want them to simply pop up in a search. They should be assigned to at least one category. How do I suppress all articles or hide them if they are uncategorized from showing up in searches?

If I suppress viewing at the user or page level in Confluence, then the content on those pages is not accessible via excerpts that I have used to provide an easy way to build content updates because then the article shows an error that the content itself is inaccessible. So I want to make that uncategorized article which is really just a building block for other pages inaccessible on the JSD portal to searches.

The link below only shows how to restrict access based on user permissions. Is there no way to restrict access based on category or tag or article property? Restrict, suppress, hide?

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/restrict-access-to-knowledge-base-articles/ 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Liam Green
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2020

Hi @candy_pearson 

Unfortunately, there is currently no way of restricting the access, other than by user.  

I'd suggest submitting a feature request to Atlassian - but check there isn't currently one that matches your requirements.  I've done a search but couldn't find anything.

Regards, Liam

candy_pearson December 4, 2020

Thanks for the response @Liam Green ! I thought that might be the case, but it is really helpful to have someone else confirm. 

I can make the suggestion although if it hasn't come up before, I'm not sure what kind of priority or momentum it'll attract. I'll figure something else out.

Thanks again!

Candy

Like Liam Green likes this
1 vote
Gaston LeBlanc April 8, 2021

Hi @candy_pearson

Not sure if this would help, but if you create a space for uncategorized articles you simply don`t need to link it to the JSM project. That would mean that they would never show up in any search.

Then later on if you want to make them available, you can easily change the space that any page lives in, so you would just have to put the page (article) into a space that is linked to the JSM project you want it to appear in a search.

Gaston

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events