How to organize Knowledge Base?

Kathi November 5, 2020

Hi there,

we are going to implement Jira Service Desk for our 1-4th Level Support. We're going to use Confluence as Knowledge Base for the Agents especially in the 1st Level.

And we have much troubles to organize this Knowledge Base.

Our company produces technical devices. We want to use a Page Tree with categories for the different products. Sometimes there could be Articles which relates to multiple products. We do not want to edit/create them more than once but for the 1st Level it's easier to be able to search for information in the affected product-category directly. 

Example:

• Product A
    • Technical Description A
  • Product B
  • Product C
    • Technical Description A

The Agent searches for information about Product A. Therefor he select "Product A" in the page tree. Then he is able to see all articles about it.

Another scenario is that the agent searches for a special information and therefor he want to use a search-field.

So we have to provide two different ways to get the required information:

• Navigating through the tree
  • Searching for information with the search

And I don't find a solution which covers this two ways.

We've already tried the following possibilities:

• Include pages:  The included pages can't be searched and so it's not practicable.
  • Labels: It becomes very confusing when there are 20 labels and we have to create the page multiple times
  • Page Properties: We have to create the pages either a multiple times.

Do you have some ideas how to resolve this dilemma? 

Do you know some plugins which could be used therefor? (Example: The plugin can be used to create automatically multiple pages when a select box for the affected products is checked ... or some plugin to organize the Knowledge Base easier)

I am thankful for all hints because I searched and tried a lot. 

Thanks!

I'm sorry for my bad english, it's not my mother tongue.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2020

Kathi,

The way i see it, if the persons using the KB have access to all the pages, i would place the cross product documentation in a separate section in the tree and use include page to add them under the three.

As you mention the search does not cover the includes, but if you search, you will find the page in the separate cross product section.

If you like to use the three then you can use the include part.

Is this something that would be usable?

Kind regards,

Laurens

Kathi November 5, 2020

Hi Laurens,

thank you for your answer. 

We're going to start with this possibility and then we will see if it's practicable.

Maybe our Support have to rethink the way they are working because I guess it's a lot of work to manage the pages.

I think I would prefer labels but I haven't work with hundreds or thousands of pages and labels yet.

Is there a guideline to use labels with high effectiveness?

Thanks.

Kathi

Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2020

@Kathi I'm afraid i can't give you much advise on labels.

I'm not a big fan of labels because i find it to much of a free choice, everyone can add labels, typo's happen, ...

It helps in some cases but when the page is constructed clearly, has a clear title and is in a right space structure, i believe the search does its work quite good.

The only times i personally use labels is to show those pages in macro's, i personally never use them for search purpose.

But obviously thats my opinion, others will definitely have another one.

Here you can find some more information on how to work with labels: https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/use-labels-to-organize-your-content/

And some info from adaptavist: https://www.adaptavist.com/blog/confluence-content-management-using-automation-part-1-use-a-confluence-labels-system-to-keep-content-under-control

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events