Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make "Time spent" field required when changing issue status to Resolved?

Enkhtaivan Ganbat April 19, 2018

Greetings,

How to make the Time Spent field required when changing issue status to Resolved?, currently it's not mandatory, and yet when changing issue status to other states like "Waiting for customer", "Closed" etc, I'd like to make the Time Spent field not required in these cases, but I can't find where is setting to do it.

2 answers

1 vote
Gabriel Senna
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 20, 2018

Hi Enkhtaivan,

You can make the field required in the field configuration.

If you access the JIRA Settings > Issues > Field configuration, you can choose the field configuration of the project you want to configure it. There, you can make the field required to the screens where he is added.

This way, all screens that the field is, it will be mandatory for the user to filled.

Enkhtaivan Ganbat April 23, 2018

Thank you!

James Poli June 13, 2018

What if I don't see the field configuration for my Time Spent field on my task card?

Stephan Weynicz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 30, 2021

The field "Time Spent" is not available in the "View Field Configuration" menu for "Default Field Configuration".  The closest match is "Time Tracking."  However, this makes "Remaining Estimate" and "Original Estimate" required fields.  Like the questioner originally asked, I want to make "Time Spent" required.  

Honestly I don't care about estimates at the point when the issue is resolved.  I just want to know how much time I need to bill for.

Like Vance Matrisciano likes this
Debora Silva September 1, 2021

@Stephan Weynicz Have you found a solution to your request? I want to implement the same. Thanks

Stephan Weynicz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 1, 2021

@Debora Silva Nope.  After I wasted a day trying to figure this out, I gave up.  I'm back to square 1, which is exporting issues to Excel, and comparing time values to incoming invoices.  

Benjamin Baker April 30, 2024

@Debora Silva @Stephan Weynicz Figured out the way to get the Time Spent displayed on the transition screen is actually selecting the "Log Work" field on the screen, not "Time tracking." Not sure why it's set up like that.

0 votes
Yves Thomas April 23, 2018

Hi Enkhtaivan,

Using Add-on JIRA Suite Utilities (JSU),

On the "Resolved" transition that move the issue to your "Resolved" status, add a validator "Fields Required (JSU)" with the field "Time spent".

-> this way, the "Resolved" transition will fail with a message "Time spent field is required" (or something like that...)

Alternatively, on the same "Resolved" transition to status "Resolved" , add a condition "Value field (JSU)" : ("Time spent" != "").

-> this way, the "Resolved" transition won't display until a "Time spent" value is set for the issue

Both solutions require the JSU add-on from Atlassian Marketplace, and your prefered solution may depend upon your needs and your workflow scheme.

Hope this helps,

Enkhtaivan Ganbat April 23, 2018

Thank you for the reply, but I already did what I needed following Gabriel Senna's instruction.

RJ Foltz October 31, 2022

Hi, is there any clear instruction on how to accomplish requiring the "time spent" to be a required field before closing the ticket?  Thanks. R.J. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events