Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make Issue Time Tracking required before closing or resolving a ticket

Benjamin Daugherty December 9, 2020

I have found how to do this using validation, but only on the cloud version.  I am looking for guidance on the server version for Jira Service Manager.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2020

Add 'Time Tracking' field to the screen associated with the transition going to close.  Add a 'Field Required' validator on that workflow transition.  If there is not a screen associated with the transition to close your will have to create one.

Benjamin Daugherty December 10, 2020

The 'Time Spent' field is on the Resolution screen, is 'Time Tracking' seperate field?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2020

On all the tenants I have worked on the delivered field has been time tracking and should be labeled as system field.  Time spent might be a custom field in your tenant.

'Time Spent' becomes active when you activate Time Tracking under Issues -> Issue Features.  So, I assume the 'Time Spent' field, located on the Resolve this issue screen is the same as 'Time Tracking' field located in the Field Configurations.  However, when I look at the screens 'Time Tracking' is on, it only lists default.

So, I'm not sure what 'Time Spent' field is and how to make it mandatory.

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 11.46.03 AM.png

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2020

Can you see if time spent is a custom field?  Also do you have any apps for time tracking?

Time spent is not a custom field, which has me perplexed on what to do.  We don't have any apps used for time tracking only the built in one generated by Jira.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2020

What options do you have on the workflow transition under validators? Also do you have any other fields that are required on workflow transitions?

Under validators I have just two options:

• Permission validator
  • User Permission validator

Nothing like the field validator that is available on the cloud.

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 2.12.15 PM.png

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2020

Benjamin,

I apologize for all the extra work, I assumed that you had already done this with other fields.   You will need Jira Suite Utilities to perform this validation in your workflow and that is why it is not an option.  Here is the Atlassian documentation on it.    https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/using-validators-with-custom-fields-938847524.html

No worries, but this add-on has some interesting features we could use for other items.   Thank you for all the assistance.

But to clarify, as built, Jira does not have a feature natively to make this field mandatory, you MUST purchase an add-on.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2020

Yes.  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events