cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to implement problem management

serge calderara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2020

Dear all,

I have a test Service Desk setup on which I can create incidents request.
The next step is to find out the best practice way of implementing the Problem Mangement in Jira.

For that I have browse to this ressource :
https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskserver043/managing-problems-with-your-it-service-desk-974368287.html

Resource above describe a starting point WF and Screen fiedl , nothing special in this.

What I am trying to figure out how from a list of incidents, how can create a Problem issue type refering a potential related incidents.

I have few option that I would like to share :

Option : 1
Manual creation of a Problem Issue and add manual Linked incident issue to that Problem type

Option : 2
From any Incident screen, define a status CREATE PROBLEM in incident WF and fill up corresponding field and linked incident.

How do you do in your side based on your expertise ?

Thanks for sharing

regards

serge

2 answers

0 votes
Dmytro Koziarevych -Softlist- November 5, 2020

@serge calderara and @Laurens Coppens 

I would like to share a few cases with Problem management.

The first one (it`s more Event management but I would like to say about anyway):
Jira Service Desk with Alert Catcher (AC) plugin creates the Problem Issue by http- request from the 3rd party system (we use Zabbix). When Zabbix send similar requests - the "Problem" issue type (the Issue type settings, default project, where the issue creates and default assignee setting up by Jira Administrator) creates automatically by AC according to one of setting rule ("Requests per time"). It`s could be useful when you have an Event management system.

The second one: one of our customers has it`s own application, which can send http- request. If critical events occurred - the application sends a request to Jira, where the problems create automatically by Alert Catcher and assigned to certain teams (using "Rule" and "Connection" settings in Alert Catcher).

One of the cool features: when the Problem Issue creates by the rule - all other issues, which fit the "rule" (has the same attributes by the rule settings) - automatically links to the Problem issue till it's been resolved. When the Problem Issue resolved - comment with the details of resolution will be added for every linked issue and all linked issues are resolved automatically.

And last but not least: I can create an issue manually by received customers' requests. When I receive a request - I set "Alert Catcher integration" fields at the Issue Screen, click on the "Problem" button, and post-function will automatically associate this request with others, which "fit the rule". When the max limit of the issues will be reached (specified in the rule condition) - the Problem will be created automatically - and, as I said before - all issues, which are caused by this Problem will be linked automatically.

All other features - automatically resolving issues (when the Problem resolved), default assignee, and default issue type - as well, as the Comments with details of the resolution also will be available.

I hope it's could be helpful:).

--

Regards,

Dmitry

0 votes
Laurens Coppens
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2020

Serge,

In my experience, option 1 is most used.

This implies that the servicedesk staff needs to be well trained to use the correct procedures in handeling tickets and doing problem management the way it should be used.

We have, in the past, done setups with scriptrunner to put a button "create problem" on the issue screen to automatically create and link a problem ticket.

This was on server, not sure if scriptrunner has those capabilities on cloud.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Laurens

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders