How to implement phone numbers of Service Desk Customers?

Martin Boehme
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2020

Hi,

Imagine an IT Service Desk Team using Jira SD Cloud. They want to be able to call the requesting person easily with one or two clicks (and with the help of their phone software like MS Teams).

But I can't find a place where a phone number can be stored in Atlassian Access or Jira Service Desk.

(We would not like the customers to type in their phone number manually.)

Does someone have an idea for a solution or a workaround?

Thanks!

Martin

5 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Boehme
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2020

Hi @Kelly_Knight-Pellas

Well, kinda. I've found a solution but it does not really fulfill my needs.

With Azure AD Attributes for Jira you can sync a phone number to Jira. But you cannot really do more with it than display it in a sub-menu of an issue.

Jason Sweet May 18, 2020

Interesting find, Martin. Wish we could do more than just display the number....

Like Martin Boehme likes this
0 votes
Paul Price December 30, 2021

Would love to see this field type added - in today's remote working environment, we cannot just walk over to a customer desk. A properly formatted phone number field would be fantastic!

0 votes
Kelly_Knight-Pellas May 17, 2020

Hi Martin, I have the same question/issue. Did you ever find a solution? 

Martin Boehme
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2020

I posted it as an answer

aynura.nasibova
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 9, 2020
Martin Boehme
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2020

Hi @AY

No, unfortunately the article covers a completely different use case.

Thanks for trying to help me anyway :)

Martin

justin October 14, 2020

Martin,

Did you ever find an answer?  We just started using the Jira service desk and not having a place for the end-user to put a contact phone number is a huge issue.  We can't call people back without sending a message asking for the best contact number.  This is a huge waste of time.  

Like # people like this
Martin Boehme
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2020

@justin Unfortunately not.

But I know Atlassian is keeping track on this requirement. Create a request at support.atlassian.net and let them know you need this feature.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2020

I suspect that integrating Insight into JSM will factor into the solution here. 

0 votes
Jason Sweet April 27, 2020

Martin, did you ever find a good solution?  I guess one could create a custom field, right?

Martin Boehme
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 18, 2020

I posted it as an answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2020

Here is an older thread that discusses possible addon options. For sure you would need an addon. Voice-call-notifiation-amp-integration 

Martin Boehme
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2020

Hi @Jack Brickey

Thanks a lot for your quick reply :) I appreciate it.

I just installed and evaluated the two cloud apps mentioned in the linked discussion

Unfortunately, none of the two fulfills our requirement because they don't include a way to store phone numbers for customer accounts.

Instead, they are integrations for phone services which we don't want to use.

We just want a way to store a phone number per user and display it in the issue view.

A nice-to-have would be if the number was shown as:

<a href="tel:0123456789">0123456789</a>

so you could open it with desktop application linked with the tel-protocol via the browser.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2020

ah i see. There is another addon that helps w/ storing customer profiles - enriched-profiles-for-jira-service-desk 

again I have not experience w/ the app.

Martin Boehme
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2020

Just tried Enriched Profiles for Jira Service Desk, but it doesn't do what we need either. :(

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events