Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to designate assignees for multiple areas

Amy Baek March 3, 2022

Currently, once project lead is assigned, all the open tickets automatically get assigned to him/her.

We do have multiple help areas and each help area has its respective assignee. Any way to assign each assignee depending on the help area?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Jira does have some automatic assignee functionality - the projects have a simple setting at the top level for defaulting to either unassigned or the project lead.

If you're defining your "help area" with components, you can go further.  Components can have a "component lead" assigned, and have new issues default to being assigned to the component lead.

If Components isn't for you, then you'll need to start looking at Automations ore scripting.

Amy Baek March 4, 2022

Thank you for the information. Btw, I am having three different help area as you see below, so I created each area as component and assigned component lead respectively.

When I submitted a test ticket, it doesn't show the assignee for each component. Would you please explain why? Maybe something missing at my end?

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 11.07.02 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-04 at 11.21.32 AM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2022

How are you "creating each area as a component"?

Amy Baek March 4, 2022

I just created them clicking 'Create component' button and designated assignee as needed. Maybe I am wrong. Please instruct me the right way to do. Thanks

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 1.30.46 PM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2022

Ok, that's the components and component leads in the project, but how are you tying each "area" to a particular component?

Amy Baek March 4, 2022

Great question! Maybe that's what I am wondering. Would you please let me know how to do it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2022

Ahh, ok!  I was stuck on how you'd done it, but if you haven't, that makes sense!

So there's a bit of an essay here, and some uncertainty, but please bear with me.

Starting with your help centre screenshot, the process that appears to happen for raising a new item is:

• User selects one of the three options, and fills in a request
  • They might be offered the component field, but you don't have to (and in this case, probably don't want to)
  • This generates an issue behind the scenes, for your Service Management Agents to work with, reflecting the content on the request

So my first instinct would be to set the component automatically, with a script or automation.  If they select "general", stick "general" on the issue behind the request.

Problem with that is I do not know if the assignee is then set before or after your automation or script runs. 

If it's after, this should work fine.  If it is before, I'm afraid you might have to scrap the component idea, and hard-code a particular user into your script or automation.

Amy Baek March 4, 2022

I have no idea what script of automation is. How can I use it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2022

I'm sorry, I use "script or automation" quite a lot.

I work for an Atlassian partner who sell the biggest scripting app for Jira in the marketplace, but I try not to advertise when I'm answering questions - it might be the right app, but it might not, and I'd rather not sell stuff when it's not right.

Anyway, it's not "script oF automation", it's "script oR automation".  A script is something an app provides to do clever things you can't do in the Jira UI.  An Automation is much the same, but Atlassian include Automation in the Cloud product (and it is available for Server in a different form)

So, a more exact answer depends on your platform.  You've said "unknown" in the tags when you raised this, but it would be very useful for us to know if you are on Cloud or Server (or DC).  There is a simple test - are you using Jira on a URL that is <something>.Atlassian.net ?   If you are, it is Atlassian Cloud.  If not, it is server or dc.

Amy Baek March 9, 2022

I am using Jira on a URL.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2022

I'm sorry, but all Jiras run on a url, even ones restricted to a single machine.

Could you tell us if it is on <something>.atlassian.net or some other url?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2022

Ok, great, that's Atlassian Cloud.

So, go into the project and look for the configuration settings.  Specifically, look for Automation in there.

You'll be able to build rules like "when an issue is created, look at the issue type and set a component based on which issue type it is".  Or, possibly more likely to work and be more controllable, "when an issue is created, look at the issue type and mail someone depending on which issue type it is"

Like Amy Baek likes this
Amy Baek March 10, 2022

Thank you so much!

I was able to set it up successfully.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events