• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to create tickets in Jira Service Desk from emails outside of organization Edited

Hi,

I have set up ticket creation in a Jira Service Desk Project, which is working for emails sent by internal users of organization, But I want to create ticket from emails coming from outside organization like example user@<text>.zendesk.com, But its not working.
Can any one please tell me what settings i need to configure.

• Settings -> General Configuration -> General Settings -> Mode = Public
  • Incoming Mail Handler set up working for emails received from inside organization
    Default Reporter assigned.
  • Customer permissions
    Who can raise requests?
    Anyone can email the service desk or raise a request in the portal .
  • Added sender's email address as Customer in Project's Users & Roles.

Regards

Aashutosh 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

@Aashutosh Kumar, that is not the correct way to set up email requests for your service desk.

Please follow this guide. Basically, your customer permissions are correct, but you need to navigate to Project Settings > Email Requests and configure your mail handler there.

I believe the incoming mail handler you mentioned above was configured in the System Settings > Incoming Mail  section. If so, that is not correct and it should be removed.

Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks,

Kian

Also @Aashutosh Kumar , setting up public access is very insecure. Anyone can sign up for your instance and get into the main projects, not just the service desk ones. I would highly recommend turning that off if you do not want anyone being able to sign into the main portion of Jira.

Hi @Kian Stack Mumo Systems 
I also configured Project Settings > Email Requests , but still not working.
I tried all combinations of Project Settings > Email Requests & Incoming Mail Handler, but no success.

@Aashutosh Kumar

You do NOT want to use the incoming mail handler. Please make sure that those are not set up.

What behavior are you experiencing? Can you please provide screenshots of your configurations?

Thanks,

Kian

• Sender's Email added as Customer in Project Settings -> Users & Roles

customer-permissionsp.PNGEmail-requests.png

Right now, this will accept emails from anyone already added to the project. If you want to accept emails from ANYONE, you first need to change the customer permissions to "Anyone can email the service desk or raise a request". That will automatically create new accounts for them.

Still Emails from Outside organization is not generating Tickets, But Emails from within Organization is creating Tickets.

Emails are coming from senders like below 

app1_user1<app1@ext-website.com>
app1_user2<app1@ext-website.com>

app2_user1<app2@ext-websitecom>
app2_user2<app2@ext-website.com>

@Aashutosh Kumar, can you navigate to Settings> Applications> Email Requests. In there, you should see a place to look at the log for the connected email address. Click into view the log, and then check out the processing log. If you can provide screenshots of that log, that would be helpful. Based on what you're showing me, external emails should work.

Seems like Those email from Third party apps are rejected.

Any Workaround to bypass this.

mail processing log.PNG

It looks like this ticket has a workaround. However, be aware that according to Atlassian: 

The provided workaround will apply to all emails processed by the filter, which can cause incorrectly created issues. Being able to white-list addresses should prevent this from happening.

Thank you @Kian Stack Mumo Systems 

Workaround provided in JSDSERVER-1924  Solved the issue.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Why upgrade to Jira Service Management Premium?

We often have questions from folks using Jira Service Management about the benefits to using Premium. Check out this video to learn how you can unlock even more value in our Premium plan.  &nb...

209 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you