How to connect power bi with Jira cloud

Victor Tobon July 22, 2021

Good evening community I would like to know if someone could tell me if there is a way to connect Jira Cloud and Power bi without using a connector or application?

5 answers

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2021

If you don't want a "connector", then you are stuck, you're explicitly ruling out connecting to it.

Broadly, your options (all of which can be described as a "connector") are:

• Use an app that understands Cloud Jira and Powerbi, enabling them to talk to each other
  • Get Powerbi to use REST calls into Cloud directly to extract what it thinks it needs (painful and re-inventing the wheel, seriously, get a connector app)
  • Extract data manually for upload into Powerbi (of course, that's slow, manual hard work, and your data is obsolete the instant you extract it)
  • I don't know Powerbi that well, but you may find it works well with a direct connection to the upcoming data lake (currently being trialled by a load of people here)
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2021

this might be the best, most comprehensive answer I've seen around. There are a lot of folks asking similar things lately and this pretty much summarizes all the options (that I know of)

Like # people like this
0 votes
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2021

If you want to obtain the list of filters use this method then

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/api-group-filters/#api-rest-api-3-filter-search-get

It seems you're successfully stablishing a connection, which honestly could be the trickiest part some times. Now you just must browse the API documentation a bit and you'll be able to get anything.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2021

Yes you can connect Jira Cloud with PBI. Here is an old blog that might assist - explore-your-jira-data-with-power-bi 

Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2021

Hello there, Jack :) 

But he has said he doesn't want to use a connector...

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 23, 2021

Yes understood however, to be honest, I wasn’t exactly sure what his definition of connector was. For example, “connector” might translate to “paid addon”. Often people ask for a free solution in different ways.

Like Iago Docando likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 23, 2021

I was unsure too, and tried to define what it sounds like to me before trying to answer!

Victor Tobon July 26, 2021

Hello everyone and thanks for responding, @Iago Docando  @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  @Jack Brickey  maybe I did not explain and specify how to connect by saying that without using a connector I am referring to a payment tool or an application from the Jira store, I tried to connect through an API, it was this: https : //edenredmx.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/search? maxResults = 100 & jql and it sends me the following results, but I would like to obtain the filters that I have saved in my state.

attached images.

Power bi 1.jpgPower bi 2.jpgPower bi 3.jpg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2021

>by saying that without using a connector I am referring to a payment tool or an application from the Jira store

I think we kind of guessed that, which is why we focussed on the direct REST API connection when we were talking about it!

Anyway, you can get to your saved filters with the REST API at https://docs.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/api/REST/1000.824.0/#api/2/filter

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2021

To be clear the link I provided does not require any addon from Atlassian Marketplace. If you have an O365 account the you can use it to connect PBI  with your Atlassian Cloud instance. In rhythm link you will see a “Try Jira with Power BI” button that will redirect you to a O365 login. Granted, depending on your O365 account level (E3, E5…) there is a PBI cost but that is the case regardless of any connection method.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2021

For grins, I logged into my PBI workspace and found an old space I created back in 2017 and it is still active …

EFE7F322-1451-4839-9565-02F9D716C4BE.jpeg

Like iagodb likes this
iagodb July 27, 2021

2017. Not from the original batch but definetely an early bird :) I didn't got to power BI until 2019 myself and I can't praise it enough. It has it made my life easier when it comes to reports. 

[edit] ups... wrong account :P

Christel Gray February 24, 2022

I followed the link from Jack, but how do I even get to see a list of available content packs in PowerBI? I'm using Jira cloud, too. Thanks!

0 votes
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2021

I don't think you can. I've connected Power BI to several jira SERVER's API no problem but when I've tried to do the same with a cloud instance I couldn't so I guess it might be capped on purpose.

Take this at face value only. I'm not sure by any means. I just tried to do that once, like a year ago... 

0 votes
Ashu Tyagi
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2021

@Victor Tobon  I think if you don't want to use a connector or plugin then only way to do it would be you taking a dump of your tickets from Jira in an Excel and then uploading then to PowerBI

I would also be curious to see if anyone else has achieved it without using any connector

Victor Tobon July 22, 2021

@ASHU TYAGI  

to what and investigated can be done through an api and the token from pober bi I have the api and the token however I do not know how they should be placed

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events