Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to close a ticket when resolved by the reporter? Multiple scenarios.

Mosses
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 18, 2020

I have rules that are triggered based on time, but I would need to create a rule that closes a ticket when a reporter transitions an issue to "resolved" without causing any conflicts.

For example, I have a rule that transitions a ticket to "resolved" when there's no response from the customer for 7 days and the status is "waiting for customer"; and then closes the ticket if there's no response for another 7 days and the status is "resolved".

Since I already have an automated rule that changes the status to "closed" after it's transitioned to "resolved" by the automation rule, I don't want that to conflict with another rule where the status is manually changed to "resolved" by the reporter. I want to close the ticket immediately if the reporter resolves the issue. 

Any guidance is appreciated.

3 answers

0 votes
Mosses
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 19, 2020

Thanks @Amanda Kirk and @Jack Brickey 

To confirm, is my current setup correct? The time trigger rule will be ignored if the customer manually resolves an issue?

The customer "resolves" the issue.

customer resolve to auto close.png

System set "resolved" issue auto-closes ticket after 7 days of no response.

7 day resolve to close.png

Amanda Kirk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2020

So by manual close you mean the user is transitioning the issue to close themselves (not automation doing it) correct?

If is already in Close because the user put it there then when these automation rules try to transition to Close it will see it's already in Close and not do it.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2020

in addition to Amanda's input, you also have the ability to set a condition in your automation based on who transitions the issue, i.e. if a customer do "x" if not do "y".

0 votes
Amanda Kirk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2020

@Mosses 

From what I am understanding, There shouldn't be any issues here.

For all of your automation rules moving the issue to Closed, it will only run this if it CAN. AKA, if it is in a status that CAN transition to closed, it will proceed. But since you are planning to move the ticket to Closed immediately after a manual resolution,  it will already be in Closed, so those other automation rules will not run.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events