How to automatically reopen tickets

Ivanka Menken September 23, 2020

We are very new to Jira Service Desk and I've noticed that when a customer replies to our 'resolved' email, the ticket doesn't automatically show up in the queue as an open ticket?

How do I fix this?

I removed all workflows except for the simple workflow (todo-in progress-resolved )

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 11.13.48 am.pngI added the automation rule 'comment re-opens issue' but that doesn't seem to do anything?

All the comments show up in the ticket but the status didn't change.

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rodney Nissen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2020

The "Resolved" transition is likely setting a resolution, but that resolution is not being cleared when an issue is reopened.  Without clearing the resolution, the issue will not show back up in the queues.  Add a step to your automation to clear the resolution, and it should work.

Yes that makes sense - how do I do that though? 

Rodney Nissen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2020

I'd add a post function to the two reopen transitions to modify the issue field, then set it to Resolution, and set the status to "Clear"

1) select the post function on the appropriate transition.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 9.57.10 PM.png

2) Click Add Post function on the post function tap

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 9.59.07 PM.png

3) Click "Update issue field" at the bottom of the list.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 10.00.49 PM.png

4)On the select Parameters section, Select the resolution field, then none.

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 10.01.58 PM.png

5) Click Add, then Publish the workflow

Like Ivanka Menken likes this

Oh wow.. thank you!

I'm such a newbie so this is very much appreciated! Going to try this straight away.

Rodney Nissen
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2020

We all start out new at one time or another.  It's a lot to learn, but hang in there and you'll get it!  Welcome to the community!

Like Ivanka Menken likes this

I checked and the workflow already has that step in it...

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 12.22.58 pm.pngSo in theory I've done all the right things... why isn't it working then??? 

Rodney Nissen
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2020

That is correct.  Did you do this on the other Reopen transition? I saw two in your workflow, and I'm not sure which your automation is using.

I removed the other, so there is only 1 reopen transition. And only 1 workflow so logically I would assume it to work... but alas....

Rodney Nissen
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2020

Oddness indeed.  An obvious question, but I only asked because I've made this mistake myself.  Have you published the workflow?  Any changes you make are done to a draft until you publish them - a fact I learned the hard way.

Assuming you have published it (which I'm almost sure you have), can you post a screenshot of your automation for me?

LOL yes I did... but I double checked ;)

Rodney Nissen
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2020

So I wonder if your automation is doing something odd here then.

I GOT IT!! 

Had to create an additional status called 'reopened' and updated the 'all open' queue to include reopened as well as unresolved... 

badabing badaboom!

Thank you so much for all your patience and support!

Like Rodney Nissen likes this
Rodney Nissen
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 23, 2020

Huzzah!  Glad you got it figured out!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events