How to automatically duplicate fields from an issue ticket to a new diff ticket type

Katerina Angjeli
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 8, 2024

I need to create an investigation ticket from an existing issue ticket. Many of the fields in the original ticket will remain the same, so I want them to be duplicated automatically in the new ticket. For my application I need to have two distinct tickets for this process. Bottom line I want to prevent errors that could arise from manually entering the information again for the second ticket. This isn't (service desk to jira) it's (jira issue to jira issue) but different issue types. 

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2024

Hi Katerina - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You can create an automation rule to do that. You can either have a manual rule that you execute from the initial ticket, or you could have the rule fire automatically when the first ticket is created. 

Since I don't know when you want it to be executed, I will go with a manual rule for now. 

1. Create an automation rule based on a Manual trigger. 

2. Add an action for Clone Issue

You are done. 

If you only want to only copy some fields and not all of them, then you can do this.

1. Create an automation rule based on a Manual trigger

2. Add an action for Create Issue

3. Select the fields you to copy over automatically. 

4. Next to each field, click the 3 dots and select Copy

5. Click the words Current Issue and change to select from Trigger. 

Be sure to save and turn on the rule. 

Katerina Angjeli
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 11, 2024

Thank you, John! 

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2024

You are welcome.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events