Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to add attachment reference in comment when adding attachments via email in Jira Service Desk? Edited

Hi,

I have a question regarding customers who create comments with attachments on existing tickets via email. The e-mail body itself is nicely recorded as comment. However, the attachments are added to the ticket but not added/joined to the newly created comment. And this means that the attachments they sent are not visible in the portal for them.

How can I configure service management in a way that customers who email comments can also see their own attachments?

Could you provide further assistance?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,
Maurice

1 answer

0 votes

Hello @Maurice,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

Testing on my local site, I created a ticket via email and then replied to a notification adding a photo or just using the option to attach a file, in this case, using Gmail. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 13.48.30.png

Both options added the images as a comment and it was visible on the portal.

Are they using a mail client like Outlook/Thunderbird? 

Is it happening with any type of file?

If they add an attachment via the customer portal, is the attachment saved correctly in the comment?

Kind regards,
Angélica

Hi @Angélica Luz,

Thank you for your reply and sharing your example. Exactly as expected and that’s why I’m a bit confused.

Are they using a mail client like Outlook/Thunderbird? Outlook & Gmail

Is it happening with any type of file? Yes: txt, csv, log etc.

If they add an attachment via the customer portal, is the attachment saved correctly in the comment? Yes, no problem there. 

Kind regards,
Maurice

In addition to my question, below you see the attached files within the ticket/project in Jira Service Desk

The green marked file is added by the customer 'manually' via the customer portal and it is visible on the portal. And also marked with little an 'eye' -  the link to the comment. 

The red marked file is the attachment of an e-mail by the (same) customer: not linked to the comment and therefore not visible on the portal for the customer. As mentioned before, the body of e-mail itself is perfectly converted to a comment in the ticket/project.

Schermafbeelding 2021-06-16 om 18.05.40.png

Thank you for testing and for the details, Maurice. 

We tried to replicate the issue here and it only happened when an agent replied to the notification.

Also, the icons of the attachments on your screenshots are from Google docs and we tried to replicate it as well, but it didn’t work. Some of them show this icon, but it works normally on the portal:

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 14.51.51.png

Would it be possible to test by replying to the notification adding an image from the computer instead of adding a document from Google Drive? 

What are the steps they are following to add those attachments? I understand it must be simple, but by adding files and images normally from Outlook and Gmail, the attachments were added here. 

Are they replying to the customer notification or agent (system) notification?

I can see that you are a user of a Standard Jira site, so in case you need someone to maybe access the site to check what is happening, you can reach out to your site administrator and they can create a ticket with our support on support.atlassian.com/contact.

Like Maurice likes this

Hi @Angélica Luz,

Thank you for your efforts in resolving the issue. Your counter questions triggered the solution. Our clients mixed up the e-mail address in their reply. So an e-mail with an attachment to jira@test.com only adds a comment, whereas an e-mail to ticket@test.com adds a comment and adds the corresponding attachment.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Maurice

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Hi Maurice,

Thank you for sharing. I'm glad that I was able to help!

If there is anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Atlympic Event: Jira Service Managemnt

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

181 views 0 3
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you