Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Create customer/reporter when creating issue?

James Pickard July 21, 2019

Hi everyone,

Our customer base is wide and dispersed, varies a lot and we don't have them all listed with their details already.  We need a way to be able to create customers/reporters on the fly while we're creating an issue.  Other service desk applications give this ability but I don't see how with Jira SD?

Searching reveals it was considered and maybe added in the last year or two but I can't find out how to make it work?

Ideally, I want to be able to create an incident with simply a name to start with and from that, later on, I can fill in any relevant details as they come to hand (organisation, contact details etc).

Can I setup Jira SD to do this?

thanks

James

(new SD user)

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Radu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 21, 2019

Hi James,

Simply go to Customer permissions and allow anyone to send a request without logging in.

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 10.52.58 am.png

Also check out Jira Settings for Jira service desk on your instance by clicking "change the Global settings" in the screen above. Once you do that you should land on the below page and can make the selections best suited to your case.

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 10.57.13 am.png

Cheers,

Radu

Thank you for the reply but this doesn't answer my question at all.

Maybe it's better to give you an example. 

A customer calls up who we have no record of in Jira SD and wants to log an issue.  I want to be able to log this in the 'create issue' page without having to first create a customer/reporter.  I want to be able to simply log it against a name or email address that doesn't already exist.

Can Jira SD do this?

Or do I need to stop the customer, create a customer account, THEN log an issue in two steps instead of one?

Radu
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 21, 2019

Hi James, 

You can do that. 

When you arrive on the second screen I mentioned above select "Can customers access and send requests from the help center without logging in?" -> Yes

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 11.29.33 am.pngThen open the portal in an incognito window and fill in the request on behalf of the customer. It should look like:

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 11.31.23 am.png

Fill in the e-mail confirmation to with the customer e-mail.

Your agents can just keep a portal page open to do this when they need to.

Let me know if this works for you.

Cheers,

Radu

Hi Radu,

Apologies, I misunderstood what you meant. 

While, it sort of works, it's not a very elegant solution requiring agents to have separate windows open.

And what if the customer already exists?   They would need to know this first somehow and switch between browser window depending on how they want to log the issue etc.  

Very messy.

Is there not a way to do this in the native Jira SD while an agent is logged in?   

Essentially try and find the customer if they already exist?  If not, create one on the fly easily?

thanks

Like Hans Heimeriks likes this
Radu
Atlassian Team
July 21, 2019

Hi,

I agree it doesn't look elegant and we'll have to do some work on the experience.

If the customer exists then you should see them when typing their name in a User /People field you have on the issue.

Some options:

• If you want to bypass account creation you can create a separate [text] field where you can put the user. It would be a simple text field and wouldn't feedback any info to the customer thought.
  • Agents can go to the "Customers" page in the service desk and search for the customer by e-mail. If the search is empty then they can add a customer via the button on the top left. Then proceed with issue creation.

If your customer base doesn't change dramatically the amount of new users should decrease over time.

I understand the discomfort in doing this though.

Regards,
Radu

Radu
Atlassian Team
July 21, 2019

Hi James, 
I did a bit more digging and found that you can actually add one customer on the fly.

Simply raise a request and put in a ticket requesting on behalf of someone else.

Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 12.24.24 pm.png

Could you try it for yourself and let me know how that works?

Cheers,

Radu

Hi Rady,   that looks more useful, I'll look into this more.  thanks!

Radu
Atlassian Team
July 21, 2019

Great, if you have the time, "accept my answer" so I get the "achievement" points :) . Thanks!

James Pickard July 23, 2019

I've 'accepted' this as AN answer, but it's not a great answer and doesn't do it in an elegant way.  And if you need to change a customer, you can't create them on the fly in the queues etc.  But hopefully it'll suit our needs. 

More flexible ways of creating new customers on the fly would be requested.  This will allow better customer support 

Like # people like this
4 votes
Connor Dabron November 1, 2021

Surprised there aren't more requests like this - wondering how other organisations manage this? Surely there are new customers being added each day and surely they should be able to be created on the fly?

Mike Rose January 27, 2022

Yes, I agree that one should be able to add new customers (requesters) on the fly. 

Other ticket systems do this and it is a typical work-flow.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events