How so I create a "clean" new project?

Ross Davis December 4, 2020

I'd like to start over from scratch for a new Service Manager project with no data of any sort carried over from our current setup.

How do I go about this?  Or is it even possible?

TIA

Ross

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2020

New projects by default are empty of data (meaning tickets.) To create a new project, go to Projects -> Create Project (alternately, go to View All Projects and the click the blue Create Project button at the top right.)

createProjects.png

On the Create Project screen, give it a name and a key. Leave the "Share settings" box unchecked. Then click the Change Template button if the template shown isn't the one you want.newProject.png

One the Template screen, choose Service Project from the dropdown, then select a template to use. Once you do this, it will take you back to the Create screen, where you'll just need to click the Create button. This will create a new project using the selected template, with no data in it. You can then edit your issue types, workflows, etc. as desired before letting anyone create tickets. Tip: if you do want to prevent people from creating tickets in the new project until you've had time to edit schemes and elements, update the permissions so only site-admins (or whoever will be doing element updates) has the Browse Projects and Create Issues permissions. You may need to create a new permission scheme to allow this.

need to restate.  

When I create a new project, I get all of the "customizations" from the other projects as well - custom fields, workflows, etc.    I want something entirely free of these items

I am not clicking the share with the existing settings box.

Perhaps I need a new domain?

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2020

If a brand new project that isn't set to share config is still showing things like custom fields on the issue screens, it sounds like someone made changes to the default elements that Jira creates for out-of-box projects. Without seeing your instance, it's difficult to be certain, though. If that is the case, you'd probably need to create new workflows and screens and apply them to the projects that should be customized, then set the default objects back to what you consider "clean".

Honestly, this is one I'd suggest contacting Atlassian support for; you can grant the support person access to your instance so they can see exactly what you're looking at to offer specific assistance.

Thank You.  I'll discuss with Atlassian.

Ross

0 votes

I need to restate.  

When I create a new project, I get all of the "customizations" from the other projects as well - custom fields, workflows, etc.    I want something entirely free of these items

I am not clicking the share with the existing settings box.

Perhaps I need a new domain?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 4, 2020

Just create a new project.  It will ask you what template to use, or if you want to share settings with an existing project.  Use a template and you'll get a clean, empty project with no issues or settings from other projects.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events