Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much time should be allotted for setting up JSM?

Tiffany J May 24, 2022

I'm looking for a comprehensive break down for setting up JSM (specifically data center but open to it applying to data center or cloud), with about 20 agents.  Want several categories of tickets: incident, change, etc but nothing fancy for any.  I have read one reply to a question dated in early 2018 that you should plan on complete set up to take about 2 weeks (Jack Brickley).  I'm looking for something more along the lines of:

agents setup 2-3 hours

incident management 1 day

Change management 1 day

Customer set up 1-2 days

SLA's 1/2 day

Automation 3-4 days

I wanting to hear what a newbie should expect time frames to take.  AND what an experienced admin should get to with time.  Obviously this depends on what the details of the project are, and I understand that but I still want some general base line estimates to go off of for guidelines.  I have tried countless google searches and I am not coming up with anything helpful.  

Any feedback or experiences would be helpful to hear.

1 answer

4 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2022

Hi @Tiffany J - It really all comes down to the complexity of the workflow and readiness of the stakeholders to adopt changes.  I have been in some environments where I can set things up in as little as 1-2 weeks and others where it requires 2-3 months (primarily due to change management and re-engineering processes).  So there really is no one-size-fits-all approach.  If you were to plan things out in a bubble without factoring in time for feedback loops and waiting for decisions, you could perform the actual configuration steps in 1-2 weeks.

Tiffany J May 25, 2022

@Mark Segall I think you might be making assumptions about what I am looking for instead of just replying with your own experience.  I am aware of the details and complexity of each situation changes the set up time.  Each situation is unique, no doubt.  But that was not really what I was asking or looking for a response too, I even state that in my question above.  I was asking for generalized over view of times in each category.  Giving one lump sum of time, saying 2 weeks, is not what I was looking for either.  I'm looking for a break down.  Even if it is along the lines of workflows take 1-7 days.  Change mgmt takes 10-25 days.  It was more of a comparison of what areas you see being shorter or faster and what areas you see taking a long haul based on ones personal experience, realizing that's where most customizations have taken place in a responders own experience only.  I know there will be no one size fits all, and I do not want just a single answer.  I was asking for different peoples experiences and knowledge in this area.  I not was asking for one generalized rough estimates but broken down more by sub projects or areas of operations. 

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2022

Got it... My history is this:

• Workflow: 1 - 12 weeks depending upon the team's process complexity,  flexibility to work within the system, and ability to make decisions
  • Project Configuration: 2 - 5 business days. This is where I lump issue type/field/screen/notification scheme configurations
  • Permissions: 1 - 15 business days.  Most setups will be in the shorter range, but if you have complex privacy requirements, this can get a little more involved... Especially if issue level security needs to be factored in
  • Portal Configuration: 1 - 15 business days.  Like permissions, this will typically be less, but you can run into delays if users want excess customizations to customer notifications, explanatory text, etc. and have a lot of red tape around how they come to decisions on those customizations
  • Automation: 1 - 3 weeks.  I try to keep automations at minimum for initial roll out and ask users to sort of "feel the pain" for a few days to understand all of the use cases they will run into so that the automations are better informed.  Automations are something that are typically revisited in the first couple weeks to a month after go live.
  • Filters/Dashboards:  1 week. Same as above, usually users don't know what they need until they are working with live data and will come back asking for assistance with setting up shared filters/dashboards

This is off the top of my head so hopefully I didn't miss any key activities.

Like Tiffany J likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events