Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How grant users access to SD without adding them as Service Desk Agent?

Shah Baloch August 16, 2022

Is there a way to separate Service Desk Agent and Collaborators? In our company, we have about 10 service desk agents and 15 to 20 Collaborators. a Request gets assigned to a Collaborator when there'll be an escalation or something is beyond to agent’s skillset. Collaborators can be software engineers, DBA, Data analysts, etc. In order to grant Collaborators access to Service Desk, I added the "Collaborators" role under "Browse Projects", "Assignable User", "Assign Issues", "Close Issues", "Create Issues" and "Resolve Issues" in permission. However, Collaborators, I’m unable to assign any request to a Collaborator. If I add the Collaborator role in “Service Desk Agent” then the issue gets assigned to them But the problem is if I add them to the “Service Desk Agent” then they showed up in the “Workload” section from “Reports” and it messes up the Agents metrics.

Is there a way to add users so that they can have assignable and transitional permission? I want the Collaborators should be able to assign Requests to another user oke an agent to another Collaborator, also they should be able to transition the issue from open to progress or closed, etc. Also, I don’t want to have them in the Workload section. Is that possible?

Thank you for your help

2 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

No, in order to assign a request to a user that user has to be a JSM agent. You can allow Jira users to view requests and add internal comments when needed, but a JSM license is needed for any users that you want to assign to a request.

@Mikael Sandberg Licensing isn't an issue, I have enough licenses but the issue is adding them as an agent will display them to the Workload from the report. I would like to give them access but they should not be in the workload tab.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

Because you need to assign the request to your collaborators there is no way around it, you have to add them as agents which also means that they show up in the workload report. As @Joseph Chung Yin mentioned below, you could give them the role of Collaborators, but that limits what the user can do.

Like Joseph Chung Yin likes this

Thank you

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2022

@Shah Baloch -

In addition to what @Mikael Sandberg stated, you can add user to the your JSM project's Service Desk Team role for collaborators - This what a collaborators can do in 

Collaborators

Collaborators are licensed users in your Jira site whom agents in Jira Service Management work with. They usually belong to internal teams in your organization and they occasionally assist agents with customer requests by making internal comments. For example, developers who help support staff analyze a bug and add a comment that explains the cause and any workaround available. 

Collaborators can:

• view issues, comments and attachments

• add attachments and delete their own attachments

• add internal comments to issues and delete their own comments

• watch and vote for issues

• view other watchers and voters

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/what-are-user-types-and-roles/

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

@Joseph Chung Yinthat's exactly our goal that if needed a Request should get assigned to a Collaborator, but the issue is adding them as an agent is messing up the agent's metrics, they are showing up in the workload section. See the above screenshot. Thanks

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2022

@Shah Baloch -

Just as @Mikael Sandberg reply, there is no other way around with workload section.  JSM issues can only be assigned to users with Agent license (regardless if they are collaborator or actual agent)  If this is an major issue, I would recommend that you submit for a feature request to Atlassian Support (https://support.atlassian.com), so support/product team can consider it for possible solution.

Best, Joseph

Like Shah Baloch likes this

I'll submit a feature request. Thank you

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events