Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Jira determine whether a user is internal or external for notifications?

RH June 20, 2024

I'm not sure I'll be able to phrase this correctly to properly convey my meaning but I'll give it my best shot. Hopefully someone can help me because this is confusing me quite a lot.

If you want to skip the background I've put the question at the bottom.

This is about notifications. I want to understand the difference between the Notifications section and the Customer Notifications section, and how this relates to internal and external users.

Situation

I have a service project in JSM. All users of the project - agents and customers - are within the same company.

The project permissions have been set up so only certain people can access the project via JSM itself. These agents are the ones who actually work on, and eventually resolve, the tickets.

Everyone else in the company interacts with the project through the Customer Portal. This is where they raise new tickets and check on the progress of their tickets. If they try to access a ticket via JSM directly they will get the error saying they don't have permission.

The Project Settings has two pages: Notifications and Customer Notifications.

The Notifications page says that the 'Reporter' will be notified when the issue is resolved.

The Customer Notifications page says that 'Reporter (customer)' will be notified when the request is resolved.

The person named in the Reporter field will always be the person who raised the ticket via the Customer Portal. We don't create any tickets in JSM itself.

Question

When a ticket is resolved, what notifications with the Reporter receive?

It looks like they will receive two - one triggered by the Notifications page, one by the Customer Notifications page.

I've seen other answers where people have said that the Notifications page relates to internal users and Customer Notifications relates to external. I'm not really sure what internal and external means in this context though, and how Jira determines whether the Reporter is internal or external.

The Reporter is internal in the sense that they are part of the same company and (I think) have a JSM licence. But they are external in the sense that they don't have any permissions to access the project except for via the Customer Portal.

I've seen other people say that Jira will look at the emails that are triggered by an event and de-dupe the list before sending anything. But this doesn't really help me either because the two emails have slightly different content so I don't know which of the two they'd receive.

So if anyone can please help me get to the bottom of this once and for all I'd be most grateful! Thank you.

1 answer

2 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2024

Hi RH,

Notifications are based on a combination of the Customer Notifications for the Project and the Notifications Scheme for the project. Internal users are Agents on the project and External are non-Agents.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events