Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you report Time Spent?

Adam Dooley June 2, 2023

Hey yall,

I am trying to research a better way to track our Time Spent field in JSM. Currently, for our help desk team, we made Time Spent field required on ticket close. We are working on the quarter system, so techs log .25, .5, .75, 1, ect. Hours. I then created a report in the project that will count how many tickets per category (.25, .5, .75, 1, over 1). Then I plug those numbers into an excel sheet to calculate total hours spent and average time per ticket. 

I would like a better, less manual way of getting this information. Please share how you are tracking Time Spent Fields.

3 comments

Adam Dooley June 2, 2023

Time Spent Excel.jpgTime Spent Report.jpg

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 4, 2023

Hi @Adam Dooley,

if you are open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, there are numerous reporting apps available. These apps differ greatly in terms of capabilities and complexity, so this will need a bit of research.

To provide a concrete example, I believe you could get pretty far with the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of advanced features, including support for issue grouping by any issue field(s), as well as sum-ups. With these, you can create a view like the following in just a couple of clicks:

jsm-time-spent.gif

As you can see above, you can easily view, group, and sum-up your issues by the time spent field (and virtually any other field), and also consider the field across JXL's other advanced features, such bulk editing via copy/paste, support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, or conditional formatting. I should add that JXL doesn't currently support charting - but you can export your data to e.g. Excel in just one click.

As said above, there's likely other apps that can help with this, too. You may already know that you can trial any app for free for 1 month, and depending on the size of your size, it may be free forever. So if an app is an option for your, perhaps try a few and see which works best for you.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes

Like Adam Dooley likes this
Adaeze_Jude_HEROCODERS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2023

Hi @Adam Dooley 

You can try using Clockwork Automated Time Tracking & Timesheets Free or PRO.

Clockwork provides you with a robust Timesheet report of all Worklogs available on your instance.

You can filter the report by different components like Issue Keys, Issue Types, outliers, etc.

Since you need the Total time spent on an Issue, the Timesheet already provides you with this visibility at a glance. You can view the total time spent by users, per issue, and also on Epics when you break down by Epics.

Here is an example of what you see on the Timesheet:

GB44uqtenv.png

Let me know if you require further help getting started.

Like Adam Dooley likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events