Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we allow Service Desk customers to view all open tickets in our JIRA project?

strich November 14, 2014

We're trying to use the Service Desk application to allow the public to create new bug tickets for our game. However we would like to allow them to view tickets that have already been created. How do we allow customers to view other tickets in the project?

8 answers

1 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
ToluA February 3, 2015

Andre,

This simply cannot be dismissed with a simple statement when so many people see it is a HUGE blocker to the way their customers would like to use the product, as is demonstrated here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-270

Customers can view other customers tickets by adding them as a participant, as per the recent dpeloyment details found here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/Cloud/2015/01/16/Upcoming+Atlassian+Cloud+Upgrade+for+week+starting+18+January+2015

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-27069

JSD-270 really needs to be addressed as soon as possible as it will win a lot of new custom, and keep the rest of us happy!

Cheers

Nick

strich February 3, 2015

Yep. We're actually in the middle of leaving Atlassian for this very reason. Its just not good enough and there are better services out there now.

Like # people like this
Simon Shakespeare December 11, 2015

It seems logical to want users accessing the same project to want to see all tickets raised against that project by the team members. I've read a few posts about this issue that everyone wants - why such a delay in tackling it?

Like # people like this
Jimmy Tissaaratchi December 22, 2015

i agree

Like Lenin Raj likes this
DoD Support September 1, 2016

We just moved to SD and are getting a TON of push back from all our departments on this. We are very close to reverting back to our older JIRA version. 

Like # people like this
3 votes
Matthew Learoyd September 18, 2018

There needs to be a way for Service Desk users to see the status of their tickets as these tickets move through the development projects. The way we have to set it up now, is to link the service desk tickets to a copy of said ticket in one of the various projects. There should only be one instance of the ticket, and the customers who submitted it should be able to track its progress, no matter where it goes. Period.

1 vote
Daniel Eads _unmonitored account_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2017

Just following up on this for people arriving here from Googling. JSD-270 has been addressed (thanks for linking it Tolu!) and you can configure your service desk to let anyone in an organization (see documentation about organizations) see issues opened by other people in the organization.

I agree that it's a bummer that it wasn't addressed sooner and am sorry to see some people having a difficult time because of it. I know at my company we had to jump through some hoops to address people's concern about loss of transparency internally while waiting for the feature to be built it. Luckily though it works pretty well now, so folks just setting up Service Desk are good to go.

Matthew Learoyd October 25, 2017

Hello Daniel, I have searched and searched and am unable to find the ability to "see issues opened by other people in the organization" that you spoke about... I followed the documentation you provided, and simply couldn't find it... This is a HUGE thing that we really want to implement, so if you could point where you found that, please let me know!

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 26, 2017

Hello Matthew,

Under Project Settings - Customer Permissions - Who can customers share requests with?  The ability to share also is the same as having visibility to those issues.

Cheers,

Matthew Learoyd October 26, 2017

I appreciate the response. I left out a crucial detail. We'd like one customer to be able to see all of her organizations tickets in her portal by DEFAULT... otherwise, it's up to the requesting agent to "share" their ticket. We don't want them to have that choice. We would like all issues raised by anyone in her organizations (she's in multiple organizations) to be "shared" with her automatically.

Thanks again for your time!

Josh Lang March 29, 2019

Matthew, any chance you got a resolution for automatically sharing?

Like # people like this
Matthew Gaffney April 30, 2019

I also was wondering if Matthew got a resolution to being able to allow individuals or groups of individuals to have the ability to search for issues in their organization by default. 

I was thinking this could be a work around to the much larger issue of if I raise a request on behalf of person X, person X does not see this under my requests. 

We have end users who stop by individual IT offices, our service desk, call or email in for help. We need to be able to create issues on behalf of people and allow those people to go back and find those issues at a later date to either interact with those, or just go back to see the "how" something was resolved. 

Thank you!

Nick Nelson September 23, 2019

Is it possible to let customers see all tickets from customers in other organizations within the project, and not just their own?

We currently have a client who performs UAT but also has a third party agency do some UAT on their behalf. Different organizations, but they need to be able to see each other's tickets as well as change the status of all tickets within the project.

Like # people like this
Rachel O'Steen June 24, 2021

I'm having this problem, too. Very frustrating!

0 votes
Matthew Learoyd January 24, 2019

Because thread dates change from time time, does anyone have an update as to whether the ability for customers/reporters to track submitted tickets once they've been moved from the Service Desk to other projects has been solved?

Sebastián Delmastro September 13, 2019

@Matthew Gaffney try using automation for Jira to automatically create linked issues and transition your JSD ticket based on linked statuses avoiding your customers to access internal tickets. I do it that way given we support several clients with several customers within those organizations and our internal dev/ops team give level 2 support when coding and releases needs to be ejecuted.

Another workaround is that you give "browse project" permissions to your internal team can work on that JSD ticket.

Matthew Gaffney September 16, 2019

@Sebastián Delmastro 

I think you mentioned the wrong person, as you'll see my name doesn't match the name to whom you are responding to. 

0 votes
nwild January 13, 2019

We are also evaluating Service Desk right now for several clients and had the same issue. That's for most of them a no-go. They want that to have at least one project manager of client /organization to be able to see all tickets to have some overview.

Matthew Learoyd January 13, 2019

Please consider SpiceWorks, or another product if you need your vendor to care about you in a mutual relationship type of agreement. Jira is too big to be interested in your/our needs, as has been proven by this need being un-answered for 4 years now.

Like # people like this
nwild January 13, 2019

Thanks, looks like you are right. We will check other solutions. 

Like Matthew Gaffney likes this
Matthew Learoyd January 13, 2019

Best of luck! JIRA has the potential to be amazing, and it greatly saddens me that they aren't yet. I can only hope they read these forums, and, if you end up wanting to re-visit the idea of adopting Jira in the future, that they will have made their service more usable by the time you decide to adopt their platform.

Best,

-Mat.

Like # people like this
Rodrigo Baldasso
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2019

Hi Nicolas & Matthew,

We're sorry to hear that you're frustrated with Service Desk, however, we'd like to assure that Atlassian is always willing to help teams get their work done.

That said if you're looking for a way to grant access to a manager, the best way to do it would be by using Organizations. However, this would also cause the issues to be viewed by everyone else in that same organization.

To create an organization, you can just go the Customers section of your Service Desk > Add Organization. After that, you can add the manager & their respective users in that organization and then start adding that Org. to the tickets that you wish for that manager to see. When users inside that organization are raising tickets they will have the option to either share or not the issue with that organization.

Other than that, you can add this manager as request participant on all issues, and you can automate this for new issues by using a third-party add-on such as Automation for JIRA.

Regards,

Like # people like this
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2019

At the time this thread was created, Service Desk did not have Organizations.  These organizations allow you to better group your customers and in turn let those customers share their requests with other users in their same organization.   Both Cloud and Server versions of Service Desk have this feature now, and have for some time. 

However all the customers within an organization are treated equally.  Sharing an issue with an organization gives all the members of that org access to that request.  Service Desk does not have a role such a 'customer project manager', one individual that would be a customer role user, but have views into other customers issues. 

It sounds like this is a role that you are both looking for out of the product.    There is an existing feature request for this over in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-4302 - server and https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-4302 - cloud.   I would recommend voting on that specific feature is this is something more specifically you want to see in the product itself.

Like # people like this

Thank you for the reply, Rodrigo. My main point of contention has been that "customers" who submit a ticket to the Service Desk are unable to track their tickets once they have been moved from the Service Desk to other project that our Jira agents are working on. The "workaround" that has been suggested by Atlassian has been to keep the tickets open in the Service Desk, and link them to identical tickets in other projects, but this is nonsensical, in that we want only ONE instance of a ticket, and, no matter where it goes in the various <non-servicedesk> projects we have, the Issue Reporter should continue to ne able to view its status. We are not asking for Service Desk Customer CONTROL of said issue, but that the Service Desk Customer has VISIBILITY of their tickets, no matter where they go in the non-service-desk realm.

Rodrigo Baldasso
Atlassian Team
January 24, 2019

Hey Matthew, 

Hmmm, I see. This is indeed not possible (currently) without granting a Software/Core license to your customers (besides changing your permission scheme, issue-level security and so on), however, a workaround scenario that I can think to this is by using JIRA JMWE. 

You could create a transition in your workflow that would automatically create a linked issue in another project. Then, also by using JMWE you can copy the comments from that linked issue to the original issue. This would keep the client on the loop without much customisation in your environment. 

Thank you, Rodrigo. I appreciate you being responsive to this. I will remove my initial suggestion for migration away from Jira, but, I (as well as many other admins), are generally upset that tickets can't be tracked by original reporters throughout Jira. The way it is now, a reporter submits a ticket that is for a "feature request", and once we move the ticket to the appropriate project, the submitters can no longer see the ticket, which is, frankly, absurd.

Like # people like this
Sebastián Delmastro September 10, 2019

@Matthew Learoyd you can always link that JSD ticket to other linked issues inside Jira projects. I have with automation for jira (codebarrel) rues that create linked issues, replicate "internal" comments, priorities, assign as watchers or assignees from original ticket even to JSD transition to certain status based on internal linked issues transition statuses (with or without conditions).

You should give it a try and I am happy to help.

Best.

0 votes
Jakub Musialek November 25, 2018

It's simply a joke that old Mantis can do things like this, old but a live !.

Atlassian start listening to your clients!. You work with client on project and they want to simple have all the knowledge about their project. Fragmented knowledge is not the same. 

0 votes
Johannes October 10, 2017

If customers can see all tickets they would be basically agents. Crystal clear why Atlassian dont provide that feature. Sell more, earn more.

Joe_Hardin January 30, 2018

Umm, no. Agents respond to tickets across all customers. Customers respond to their own tickets, and should be able to VIEW other tickets created by their organization. A pretty universal need in an enterprise setting. 

Like # people like this
ArezooI September 18, 2018

I agree with you Joe. I worked with ServiceNow before and I was able to search for tickets and see the progress on that and whatnot. This is really a miss from Atlassian!

Like # people like this
Deleted user October 24, 2018

I agree with you @ArezooI. Very disappointed with it.

Like Rachel O'Steen likes this
Rachel O'Steen June 24, 2021

Why do they fight what the people want and need so hard???

0 votes
Andre Borzzatto
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2014

Hi Scott,

It's not really possible to allow Service Desk customers to access your JIRA application, and currently there's no way for them to see previously created issues that weren't submitted by themselves.

Thanks!

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 17, 2014

When you allow customers access to JIRA issues (by including them in the jira-users group), they will be able to see both internal as external comments ...

strich November 17, 2014

Andre - That is a pretty disappointing oversight. Are you saying there is literally no way to provide Service Desk users open view access to the JIRA workspace? Others users like Francis have already found some work arounds.

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 17, 2014

Scott, sorry to say but my earlier proposed workaround is not an option as all internal comments are visible to customers when they get access to the JIRA view of the issue. The only workaround would be to track these public issues in another - non service desk related - project.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events