Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do open all links in a new tab automatically?

Frédéric Bouhet November 6, 2019

Hi, How does one set that all links in tickets ust open automatically in a new tab?

12 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 7, 2019

Hello @Frédéric Bouhet ,

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Is this question for Jira Server or Cloud?

I am asking because:

1. For Jira Cloud
    this feature is tracked as [JRACLOUD-9380] external links to open in new window and, as written in the latest status update:
    "Opening external links in new tabs is one of many improvements coming to Jira Cloud with the new Jira issue view"
  2. For Jira Server:
    1. According to [JRASERVER-9380] external links to open in new window  the feature has been implemented in Jira Server and Data Center version 8.4.0
    2. However, due to a bug this still does not work for links in custom fields. The bug is tracked as: [JRASERVER-70096] External links in custom fields of type URL don't open in new tabs

You may want to vote and set yourself as a watcher to one the above tickets (depending on whether you use Server or Cloud) so that you will be updated in case of any progress.

Please let me know if this helps. 

Cheers,
Dario

Alan Hilligoss June 26, 2022

Unfortunately it looks like the "opening external links in new tabs" didn't end up making it to the new Jira issue view for cloud.

Like # people like this
Matthew Burghoffer July 22, 2022

When is this going to be added?  If I were to guess, it should probably take less than 3 years to implement...

Like # people like this
Adam Witek September 30, 2022

Fake News.

Like # people like this
Greg Hough October 28, 2022

I do not understand how in OCT 2022 we still click Notification bell, and open a thread that you were notified on, and get taken away from the main page, all because you guys can't put in HTML that has been used since, what? the 80's??

my god man it's   target="_blank"

Like # people like this
22 votes
Heather Julian January 6, 2022

Now over 2 years later and Jira STILL is not set to append "target=_blank" to their link html code in the system. It is less than a full line of code to improve the UX. When is this "update" ever going to happen?

Brad Ranks April 20, 2022

Jira is a joke.

Like # people like this
9 votes
semioniy May 23, 2021

It's 2021 and jira cloud still opens links in the same window / tab.

I think you're better off using a browser extension than waiting for atlassian to implement something.

I use New Domain in New Tab in Chrome, works fine.

While at it, I also can recommend Hide Empty Labels on JIRA Boards extension - works nice as well. 

Maybe there's smth for firefox as well, but me simp for google mate.

Constantinos Symeonides August 10, 2021

Not working for me in Ubuntu 20.04 Chrome 91

Michalina Rokita September 7, 2022

not working in Jira

Aldo Barrientos September 29, 2022

This worked for me on Chrome today in JIra.

Like # people like this
Kristina Groeger February 15, 2023

This is a great workaround! Thanks for this. Works in Chrome.

Mark Burgess February 27, 2023

Nice... but I wish Atlassian would fix this. How can we expect to ask all of our users to use a Chrome extension? 

5 votes
Kevin Lovely January 5, 2023

Hello, it is not possible. Happy 2023!

5 votes
Richárd Bernhardt May 31, 2022

Decision: Based off our research, we will keep the existing default behaviour.
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-9380

It should be a user choice, guys!

Not a hard-coded one-way operation.

4 votes
Valentin Taleb January 18, 2022

An official update on this topic would be very much appreciated.

charles graham March 31, 2022

The linked cloud issue was marked as closed/won't do.

Like Thomas Richardson likes this
Sheryl Nevyn June 19, 2022

Unbelievable.
With so many customers using JIRA, why is this basic functionality not available?

Like # people like this
2 votes
John Smid December 2, 2022

Atlassian could reverse the recession with this simple update. I can't believe how much pain this causes me and can't even imagine what the collective loss in productivity must be worldwide. Fix this!

2 votes
Adam Witek September 30, 2022

Wow, I can't believe my eyes! There is no solution for this yet?! When I click a link in Jira it doesn't open a new tab?! 

2 votes
Anthony Budd May 6, 2022

Bump.

All links in the issue body and the comments should be opening in a new tab. This is standard practice UX in 2022

2 votes
geof2001 April 29, 2022

I think they are misunderstanding the assignment.  We don't want "external" links to another domain to open in a new tab.  I want all my issue, project and boards links on the site to open in a new tab by default.  Navigating in jira is so painful unless you remember to use the browser hotkeys or context menu's to get links in a new tab/window.  Of course bringing this up to them is like spitting in the wind i'm sure.

Heather Julian April 29, 2022

I would honestly would like both to have "target=_blank" appended to the html for all links in Jira. But, I will settle for just Jira links having that appended fo those open in a new tab. The Chrome plugin is great as a workaround if you use Chrome.

Greg Hough February 16, 2023

X 1000.  All my Bell Aerts, and external links, should open in a new tab, by default, as I can actually work several tasks/tickets at a time, unlike Jira / atlassian

The team, or leader, CEO, holding this back, for years now, should be immediately terminated. It's 2023, as stated above, the simple addition of code to open ALL links in a new tab, is "standard practice in UX"

2 votes
thinhnk June 23, 2021

here is solution for you. Auto open extern link on new tab. also work for stackoverflow

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stackoverflow-jira-extern/omobkjbchckaocdkcbeapemooohjgbnk

Vincze Ádám July 26, 2021

Does not work.

Halim Ansari August 4, 2021

The above extension works perfectly as of today in chrome.

Life saver.

Basic missing feature in JIRA.

Like Dario B likes this
Constantinos Symeonides August 10, 2021

Not working for me in Ubuntu 20.04 Chrome 91

Joe Stawa February 23, 2022

Works, thanks!

Beatrix Ducz March 4, 2022

Works fine!! :))) Why it isn't default may I ask....

1 vote
EJ James May 23, 2023

Cannot believe they haven't fixed this. Garbage tool, garbage company. No wonder everyone hates software 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events