How do emails forwarded to JSD work?

Harry Bob
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2020

Hello,

I have an email that forwards all emails into JSD. I noticed that when it arrives into JSD it adds the email account that forwarded the email as a 'Request Participant'

How does it do that?

Snip20200515_735.png

4 answers

1 vote
Dalton Durst June 1, 2022

This thread is still a popular result for "Jira forwarding address is added as request participant," and I contacted support about this today. I completely forgot how I'd solved the problem in the past, and they were helpful.

When Jira finds the forwarding address in the "To:" field of a new email, it automatically creates a customer/portal account for the address and adds the new customer to Request Participants. The way to fix it is deceptively simple: if you revoke a customer's access to the portal, they can't be a request participant anymore!

So, do the following:

1. Go to your site's administration at https://[yoursite].atlassian.net/admin
  2. Click on Products. Under 'SITES AND PRODUCTS', select the site you wish to hide the customer from.
  3. Select Portal customers and search for the account you want to hide
  4. Click on ••• next to this account and select Revoke access
Natasha Richardson January 31, 2023

Hello! 

Unfortunately, this did not quite work out for me. The account is revoked however it still got added as a Request Participant and received email notifications. Am I missing a step?

Thank you

Natasha

0 votes
System Automation January 14, 2021

I'm having this problem also.  It's very annoying.  Is there a way to turn this off?

Thanks

Rich

System Automation January 14, 2021

I can also confirm, no cc, no bcc, no automation.

0 votes
Jenny December 15, 2020

We are actually having the same problem but it just recently started happening.  Did you ever figure out a solution to this?

Thanks,
Jenny

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2020

The from address is considered to be the Customer/reporter so if the email is not already in the system it will be added. Unless you have the project setup such that only customers your agents add to the project. In that case an unexpected email would be rejected.

Harry Bob
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2020

@Jack Brickey

Thanks the reply.

Yeah I am ware of that. my question was around why the email account that is doing the forwarding is being added a 'Request Participant' and not referring to the 'Reporter' as you mention. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2020

Is it possible that the email address is also in the CC list? If not possibly some automation?

Thomas Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2022

@Harry Bob Did you ever get this sorted? Facing the same error on cloud and can not seem to get rid of the forwarding address set as request participant. Could always try automations to remove it I guess. 
Thx 😊 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events