Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I restrict the number of tickets a customer opens?

Nicholas Torres March 30, 2021

Hello,

I want to see how I can restrict the number of tickets a client can open? My organization provides different pricing structures for clients based on the number of tickets they can open. Has anyone successfully implemented this within their Jira instance? I ideally want to provide an automation reminder to the client letting them know they have x number of tickets they have left to open and then stop them from opening up tickets once they reach their maximum allotment of tickets.

I greatly appreciate any assistance that is given!

Sincerely,

Nick

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2021

Hi @Nicholas Torres ,

on Jira Cloud, you won't be able to prevent customers from creating new requests - that would require a Workflow Validator on the Create transition, and Cloud validators are restricted to what Jira expressions support - and they don't support running a JQL search, which is what you'd need.

However, what you could do is use a JMWE Transition Issue(s) workflow post-function to automatically check if the customer has exceeded their maximum number of requests and transition the request to a "Rejected" status, while adding a public comment (which will send a response to the customer).

Nicholas Torres April 5, 2021

Hi @David Fischer , thank you for your comment. I am going to check out JMWE to see how to use this to resolve the business problem we are trying to solve. Again, grateful for this community!

Nicholas

0 votes
Answer accepted
Juan Manuel Ibarra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2021

You can use an addon that allows you to validate when creating the number of tickets for that customer and if it exceeds the amount, return an error message.

Regarding the second, that same add-on I could have a postfuction when creating the ticket that I send you an email or a comment indicating the rest based on that same SQL.

Both functions can be achieved with JMWE or with Script runner.

Probably with the Jira Automation as well but it can be a bit more complicated

Nicholas Torres April 5, 2021

Hi @Juan Manuel Ibarra

Thank you for your response. Do you currently use an add-on to do something like this? Is it JMWE that you use? I tried with Jira Automation but as you said, it is not as intuitive as I thought. I look forward to hearing from you!

Nick

Juan Manuel Ibarra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2021

The two add-ons JMWE and Script runner for Jira are just as powerful and will allow you to do just that.

JMWE is a bit easier to use because it is not 100% code.

You can download the trial version and implement the solution, if it works as you expect you can definitely buy it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events