Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I make my Portal (Request forms) in a Jira Service Desk Project public?

jillianmar1692 March 3, 2020

So I have created projects under Jira Service Desk, with different request forms and I have customized it according to my team's needs already. I just need to make it available to anyone on the Internet (for demo reasons). 

To sum it up, I need my Portal available even to those who don't have Jira licenses to log requests/tickets. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 3, 2020

Go to project settings > customer permissions and tick the button for “anyone can...”

jillianmar1692 March 4, 2020

This worked and my portal is now public. However, I've made a custom notification to customers and I've included a link that should redirect them to the issue that they've logged. But when accessing the link, I get back to the screen which is asking me to log in. 

I have already edited the permission scheme. Under Browse Projects -> I've included 'Public' in the Groups.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2020

Correct. Just because it is public doesn’t mean the user doesn’t have to login when they access the portal. While a user can open an issue via email if they wish to access the portal to open issue or view existing issue they must log in. Without this there would be no way to filter the created issue by user.

So just to confirm my understanding:

An unlicensed user who logged a request via the Portal, won't have any way to see his/her request in the Portal and can only do so via the email notification that was sent? 

Thus, the ONLY interaction an unlicensed user would have with the portal is logging and submitting the ticket? 

Did I get that right? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2020

So how did the user create an issue in the portal initially? Did they log in or is a user able to create an issue in the portal without logging in. My understanding is that the only ‘anonymous’ means of creating issues is email and the embedded Widget. I use single quotes here since it really isn’t Anonymous since the creator’s email comes into play in bot instances. 

my point/understanding is - to use the portal the user needs to login. That should apply to creating an issue via the portal as well but TBH, I do not expose the portal to the public. I tried this many months ago but don’t recall the exact behaviors so I may not have the full picture.

The user was able to successfully create an issue through the portal without logging in. However, when the user was notified via e-mail and tried accessing the 'logged request' via the link provided in the notification, it gets redirected to the portal page asking for log-in details.

My expectation is, at the very least, if the portal was made public, they'd be able to see (view/browse only) logged issues still without having the need to sign-up and be a licensed user. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 4, 2020

I see. You might review this article - set-up-an-open-portal however, it doesn't discuss viewing existing requests. Again, I'm unsure how it would work to prevent others from seeing all requests w/o logging in.

Like Doaa Elmasry likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events