Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I call a custom field of a parent ticket to the summary of the child.

Zack Shepherd October 30, 2020

I have been working on setting up an on-boarding process for my company in Jira Service Desk. I created a Request type to capture the basic data needed for the new user.  I.E. name, position, supervisor, department...  I am then using Automation to generate sub tickets for the account types the user will need.  I would like to setup the summary on the child tickets to capture the "New User's Name"  filed from the parent.  I curently have this value ${sourceissue.summary} - Create Needed Account in the summay and it works fine for pulling in the parent issues summary.  I have tried adding smart values such as ${sourceissue.[New User's Name]} and ${issue.parent.[New User's Name]} but it just adds this text to the summary filed not the desired text from the parent issues New User's Name custom filed.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 answer

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2020

Could you maybe post/show your full automation?

If you want to capture the data from a custom field the syntax for that smart value would be 

{{issue.customfield_[id]}} where the [id] needs to be replaced by your customfieldid

Dirk,

Thanks for the response. I attached a screenshot of the automation below.  I tried your suggested smart value syntax but it was just displayed on the summary line.

Jira.png

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2020

Hi @Zack Shepherd ,

Not exactly :)

You need to put something like {{issue.customfield_12345}} where 12345 is the id of the custom field.

You can see that id by going to custom fields and then the url shows the id :)

I updated the syntax to ${sourceissue.summary} - {{issue.customfield_[12936]}} - Create Active Directory Account, but still getting the same results.  

Forgot to attachjira1.png

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 30, 2020

Remove the square brackets (as in my example).

{{issue.customfield_12936}}

I tried that as well, see the screenshot above. 

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 30, 2020

Hmm.. only thing I can think of is of course to also use the {{sourceissue.customfield_12936}} as it comes from the parent.

The customfield_id smartvalue should resolve fine.. just tested and and on one issue (no sub) it works fine.

Could you try thatone ? (and if it fails post your latest rule, i'll try to rebuild it locally)

Edit: are you using the new Automation or Legacy Automation.. the screens just look different so I'm confused now..

If it's the legacy one try copying over your syntax but just replacing the customfield part.

So that would be ${sourceissue.customfield_12936}

Thank you so much for the help with this, it is greatly appreciated!! 

I am using legacy Automation

I tried applying the syntax to the prefilled subject line of the Request Type. Jira4.pngI also tried using ${issue.customfield_12936} both failed.

Next, i tried the syntax on a rule that edits the description of the parent ticket.

jira2.pngThis produced the same results.

Finally, i tried applying the syntax to the subtask creation rule but no luck there. 

Jira3.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events