How do I apply different workflows to request types that are all Service Request Issue Type

Jennifer E_ Brayall-Michaud December 21, 2022

I am making  Jira service desk, and I have four request types, and have designated them each a Service Request. I can't seem to figure out how to create different workflows for each request and apply them to the request type. It looks like I can only assign by issue type Does this mean each request type needs a different issue type? Or is there a way I can have different workflows based on the issue type request name? This is the first time I've made a Jira workflow and service desk, so I welcome any best practices as well.

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2022

Hi Jennifer - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Workflows can only be linked to Issue Types. And each Request Type is linked to one or more Issue Types. So create your workflows and make them to Issue Types and then create your Request Types based on those Issue Types is my recommendation. 

Hi John - Thank you for the quick reply and welcome!

I created a service desk with four request types, and quite a few custom fields, however they are all linked to an Issue Type of Service Request. I don't see the ability to change the issue type, so I'm assuming I need to re-create the request types and tie them each to unique issue types such as Service Request, Task, IT Help etc. Is that correct?

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2022

Hi @Jennifer E_ Brayall-Michaud and welcome to the community<

You got it right! You have to assign a different issue type to your request types, if you want them to follow different workflows. Many request types can be associated to one issue type. But one issue type can be associated to only one workflow.

There is a workaround, but before say anything, I would recommend that you go and have different issue types for your request types. Now, the workflow would be to have a common starting status for all your request types. And after that you use conditions to navigate each request type to other workflow branches. So if your request type is X then "this" transition should be visible and clickable. If the RT is Y then the other transition should be visible and so on and so forth.

Let me know if that works for you.

Thank you @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ !

I'm very new to Jira, so I'm learning as I'm going, and apparently have already made some excellent mistakes! 

I do in fact have separate workflow for each request type, so I will need to redo these request type and tie them to different issue types. 

Our workflows are rather linear, it's just each request type is totally different from the other for what we do, so each has a unique workflow. So from what I'm gathering, I'll make those workflows as @John Funk mentioned below, and then I'll just have to re-do these request types so the issue types are unique for each request, and then I should be good to go.

Thank you!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events