Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I mention a user in the comment field?

Hendrik Hess September 19, 2020

Hello,
I can only mention the creator and the editor in the comment area of a ticket. How can I mention another user that was created via AD Sync? Jira Service Desk does not find any additional users when I use the @User function.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 28, 2020

Hi @Hendrik Hess ,

is the user you're about to mention

• a customer/external user without a Jira license or
  • an internal user with a Jira license?

In general, Jira only offers users who are actually permitted to see the current issue within the comment field. That said, the user has to have the Browse projects permission for the issue of interest. Either by

• having this permission in general (mostly the case of your internal users or agents) or
  • being the creator of the issue or part of the request participants

However, as far as I remember the whole thing about mentioning users is actually only working for the licensed users. That said, (external) customers can't be addressed directly but only via the Public comment added notification.

Cheers
Thorsten

Hendrik Hess September 28, 2020

Hi @Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_ ,

thanks for your reply. Since we have only the 3 Agents license, all our users are only customers.

So I guess there is no possibility to mention customers without a license in the comment section as long the are not the creator or request participant.

Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers

Hendrik

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 21, 2020

Hello @Hendrik Hess

Thank you for reaching out.

Can you confirm if the users you are trying to mention are added as request participants or the issue is shared with an organization? At least one of these actions is required to share your request with anyone and properly mention them:

Adding request participants 

If you properly did it, you might be facing the behavior reported in the feature request below:

Unable to @mention Customer or Request Participant 

To properly work around this behavior, try one of the following options:

1. Add them manually using markup and Service Desk will notify them as if you had used the normal @mention method:
    [~username]

2. Have the participant make a comment, and he will be mention-able after that.

Additionally, feel free to vote and watch the feature request to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Hendrik Hess September 22, 2020

Hello @Petter Gonçalves 

The behavior you describe is exactly what I noticed with our Jira.

Unfortunately the user I mention via workaround [~user] does not get an email as notification.

I also know of another Jira installation where every user can be mentioned in the comment field.

So is this bug only present on some Jira installations?

Hendrik Hess September 22, 2020

Hello @Petter Gonçalves

I just found out that if I give a user administrator rights, I can mention him. Do you know which rights are responsible for the mentioning?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 22, 2020

Hello @Hendrik Hess

Thank you for your details.

No administration rights are required for a customer in order to be mentioned in Jira. They only must be able to access the request (Browse Projects), however, it seems that the user you are talking about is not a customer as stated before, but a Service Desk Agent. This is a completely different scenario when talking about notifications, as explained in the documentation below:

Jira Service Desk: Agents, Customers, and Roles 

Can you please confirm if the user is an Agent able to access the request using the internal UI?

Also, I have some questions about the last details you provided:

About this sentence:

Unfortunately the user I mention via workaround [~user] does not get an email as notification.

So you were able to mention the user, however, he did not receive the notification. Is that correct?

If the user is an agent, he must be facing the behavior mentioned below:

I would like my Service Desk agent to receive JIRA notification even if they are a request participant/reporter/part of Organization 

The behavior mentioned above is not a bug but a feature of Jira Service desk. Explaining better, the request participant field was created to share the ticket with other customers, not agents. 

If you want your agents to receive notifications, they should be added as watchers and not request participants. Also, they must have permission to browse projects in order to receive notifications.

About this sentence:

I just found out that if I give a user administrator rights, I can mention him. Do you know which rights are responsible for the mentioning?

By the previous answer provided, you were able to mention the user even before the adding of administration rights by using the [~user] workaround. Is that correct?

Did the user receive the notification when you added him with administration rights? Can you provide us what was the difference before and after you added the user with administration rights?

Hendrik Hess September 25, 2020

Hello @Petter Gonçalves

I had given this one customer administrator rights to test the behavior.

I played through all possible scenarios with this customer again: I got the following result:

• If the user I want to mention is only a customer, I can mention him in a comment with the workaround [~user]. However, it is not displayed when I enter @user. He will not be notified when I mention him.
  • If the user I want to mention is a service desk user, I have noticed the same behavior as with a customer.
  • If the user I want to mention is a Jira administrator, I can mention him/her directly with @user and he/she will also receive a notification.
  • If I add the user as a request participant he will be notified every time I add a new public comment.
  • I cannot add the user to the watch list because the user does not have permission to do so.

Do these tests help to narrow down the problem?

0 votes
Fahad Siddiqui
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 20, 2020

@Hendrik Hess can you clarify more on your question.

Hendrik Hess September 20, 2020

When a user creates a ticket, only the creator and the editor are displayed in the comment field in mention function. I cannot mention any other user in this comment. It is simply not offered to me.
I have a license with 3 agents and synchronize all users via AD Sync.

Fahad Siddiqui
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2020

@Hendrik Hess were you want to display the information? on customer portal or for support team members?

Hendrik Hess September 21, 2020

I would like to mention customers in the comment section of the tickets. This is the Agent view, not the customer portal.

21-09-_2020_15-39-47.pngWe have a user called Benjamin, but i can't mention him, as long as he is not the creator of this ticket.

Alper Sari September 14, 2021

Hi @Hendrik Hess ,

did you solved your issue? 

We have the same problem like you have or had.

br 

alper 

Hendrik Hess September 14, 2021

Hi,

I had been pleased with the answer from and did not pursue the topic any further.

However, I had read somewhere in this this thread https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-1476 that this function seems to have been implemented in one of the latest server releases. I have not tested it myself. But I'm not sure tbo...

Hope this helps somehow?

Best,

Hendrik

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events